The D-Wave 2x quantum computer...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think I can point out a couple of sentences.

experiments show the D-Wave machines display quantum behaviour, it’s not clear this is responsible for speeding up computation.

“My initial impression is that they looked to design a benchmark on which their machine has the best chance of succeeding,”

outside experts contacted by New Scientist say the test is not a fair comparison.
That's why I'm skeptical too... still, I'm glad some seriousness is been given to this issue

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm underwhelmed.
I'm.... I don't know what to think... but considering that NASA and and Google are among its customers I think there has to be some seriousness behind their research.

A previous test in 2013 claimed a 3600-fold performance increase but was later discredited and D-Wave took the criticisms on board. “I think they are getting much more serious in the statements they make,” Troyer says."

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A new component that could eventually be a key participant in quantum computing has been developed:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/11...-computers.html?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

When what are known as zero-index materials enter the mix, light no longer behaves as a set of moving waves zipping through space as a series of crests and troughs. Instead, in zero-index materials, light behaves as either all crests or all troughs, stretched out to infinite wavelengths and traveling at infinite speeds.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Did you just say the speed limit of light has been repealed?
Noy really... that's just a quote from the article that I found interesting enough to post. And of course the article further down clarifies that that's not the case. But that it gives an illusion that the signal travels at an infinite speed.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's not really a GP quantum computer. It's a hardwired algorithm using quantum logic bits of a carefully chosen benchmark. Very cool stuff that they proved its working as designed.
GP? mind elaborating? On the other hand, are you saying that they're not quite yet there, but it's a step in the right direction?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
GP? mind elaborating? On the other hand, are you saying that they're not quite yet there, but it's a step in the right direction?
General Purpose computer. It's a step in proving we can use qubits for real logic circuits but a Quantum computer is not just a set of logic blocks chained like normal logic into registers, memory and an ALU. As more qubits are added the effort to keep entire quantum units logic state stable and free from errors the errors grow exponentially to the point you get errors every few operations. You can't clone qubits to generate normal error correction codes so they need to use several (inefficient) to represent one qubit and then compare to see if an error value is generated. I've seen costs of $10-billion to build the manufacture capability after maybe the 10+ years it will take to find solutions to the current problems for the 100s of encoded qubits needed for a general quantum computer algorithm.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
scientist are trying to crowdsource quantum algorithms development
crowdfunding is another venue for both legitimate research and not so legitimate research. At least they are not draining on national resources chasing a dream.

Man's Credulity is always present. Then again, PT Barnum is reputed to say "A fool and his money ..."