The Christmas Period

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Since it is the festive period, as we call it in the UK, I thought it would be a interesting question to ask what the Christmas Period means, if anything, to the members here. Given the international spread of the members here, I'm sure there are many different takes on what Christmas means to those around the world.

I am aware that Christmas is a religious festival/occasions, but do you celebrate it (even if you are not a Christian)? Does it mean celebrating the birth of Christ? Is it a chance to enjoy the company of your family and friends? Or is it just an excuse to have a few days off work?

I do not want this to become a religious debate. This is an entirely light hearted discussion.

So what does the Christmas period mean to you? Perhaps you could share what your plans are for the Christmas period.

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Since I am from a country where Christianity is a minority the amount of celebration makes me wonder how much cheerful would it be in western countries, Christmas is celebrated with great enthusiasm here.

Christmas to me was special for the same, a great time to be with friends, a great time to enjoy. I have always reserved a special place for Jesus and Santa in my heart and evn though i m not Christian(by religion)...i m still Christ-ian(follower of Christ);).For me all religions are meaningless but all Gods are ONE.

I have almost always (as far as i remember) been with my Christian friends on the eve of Christmas..and in one way or another it has special meaning to me full of happy memories.

Wishing everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS:):D:)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Since I am from a country where Christianity is a minority the amount of celebration makes me wonder how much cheerful would it be in western countries, Christmas is celebrated with great enthusiasm here.

Christmas to me was special for the same, a great time to be with friends, a great time to enjoy. I have always reserved a special place for Jesus and Santa in my heart and evn though i m not Christian(by religion)...i m still Christ-ian(follower of Christ).For me all religions are meaningless but all Gods are ONE.

I have almost always (as far as i remember) been with my Christian friends on the eve of Christmas..and in one way or another it has special meaning to me full of happy memories.

Wishing everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS
I concur recca, and to you too. :)

Although the UK is predominantly a Christian country, we are an increasingly secular society. That said Christmas is celebrated with enthusiasm by most people, religious beliefs set aside.

I must say personally I am not religious and Christmas is an opportunity to spend some time with my family and close friends. Plus many of my university colleagues come back home for Christmas so its a good time to catch up on the last 12 months. We also have a big booze-up with all my childhood friends on the last Friday before Christmas - no girlfriends, wives, or partners present!

I would also be lying if I said that the 10 day close down at work wasn't a big bonus! :D

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Time to see the family, if in chunks, so to speak. Everybody is scattered enough that everybody together is only a faint hope.

The exchange of presents is fun. Time away from obligations is wonderful. The spiritual aspect brings comfort.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Time to see the family, if in chunks, so to speak. Everybody is scattered enough that everybody together is only a faint hope.
Interesting. A problem we don't encounter on our little island. I suppose it makes it all the more special when they do.

The exchange of presents is fun.
Indeed, especially for the kids.

Time away from obligations is wonderful.
Great way of putting it :D

The spiritual aspect brings comfort.
Nice way of thinking about it.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
According to Bill O'liely, there is a War on Christmas in the United States!:eek:
Even though Britain is an increasingly secular society, many here strongly oppose the War on Christmas and any attempt to turn the Christmas Period into a non-Christian occasion is meet with outrage, even amongst the non-Christians.

It is worth noting that when I say "our secular society" I mean that religion is becoming a increasingly less important part of everyday society. Religion is still hugely popular and the British Head of State (no not Tony Blair as Jack Straw once incorrectly branded him) the Queen, is also the head of the Anglican Church. Anyway I don't wish to derail this topic with a religious discussion, this is for another thread.

Dave

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
For the most part, Christmas at least in my region has become a cultural holiday with optional religious ties, usually those ties being very lightly celebrated. At my house although we are Christians we see Christmas as more of just a holiday, not a religious day set aside for worship. Presents, decorations, you get the idea.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
It is easy to forget that Christmas is not celebrated because of presents. It is because of Christianity, to celebrate the born of Jesus Christ.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
My wife and I (and several of our friends) celebrate the winter holidays, and Yule (the Winter Solstice) specifically, as a time of transition. It is a time for letting go of old & outworn ideas or concerns. It is also a time for embracing new hopes and intentions. Christmas fits into this well enough. We view Christmas as a celebration of the birth of God, and a celebration of the Mother of God. (Not quite what the Christians have in mind, but I won't pee on their tree if they don't pee on mine.)

Yule is, for us, a time to gather specifically with local friends who are of the same faith as we. Christmas is an opportunity to travel to be with family. We do not directly observe Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, but do appreciate and celebrate many of the metaphors behind those holidays.

We do exchange presents. They are seldom commercial in nature and must always be symbolic in some way - of either the recipient or the relationship between giver and recipient. The gift must be a message more than an object.

We also have a big booze-up with all my childhood friends on the last Friday before Christmas - no girlfriends, wives, or partners present!
Now that sounds like a religious experience to me!:D

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
For what it's worth ......

If Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, then, by deduction, Xmas is the celebration of somebody called Jesus X.

And, I'm pleased to say, that I've noticed much less incidents of octagonal snow flakes in the decorations this year.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've seen them all over the place Dave. On cards, in magazines and on the lantern.
No escape!

Is it me or has there been an increase in the number of Lindt chocolate decorations this year? In my part of the UK everyone is Lindt crazy this year; decor on trees, Lindt Santas and reindeers, winter huts, and a host of other crazy incarnations (btw, if you've never tried lindt chocolate, do, it is the finest chocolate I've ever had and I don't even like chocoltae normally!).

Dave

David Bridgen

Joined Feb 10, 2005
I haven't particularly noticed what Lindt's pimps have done, but, yes, I was fortunate enough to have been seduced by their products many years ago.

Now I wonder what would happen if Carlsberg turned their attention to the world's sweet tooth .....

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
"I don't know if you believe in Christmas,
or if you have presents underneath the Christmas tree.
But if you believe in love, that will be more than enough
for you to come and celebrate with me.

For I have held the precious gift that love brings
even though I've never seen a Christmas star.
But I know there is a light, I have felt it burn inside,
and I can see it shining from afar."

- Kermit T Frog