The brag thread !!!!!

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
My new toy, only had a few flights but getting the hang of it. I used to have a 2 channel one but I wore out the battery.
Now off out for a curry.

Attachments

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats got to be encouraging!

Actually, i think ebay uses your selections/watchlist/previous bids/purchases to "selectively advertise" your main-page.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
All the ads I see anywhere on the internet are for mouser electronics, oscilloscopes, or mustang parts.
Yea, I think they look at your browsing history.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
http://erkie.github.com/
best ad destroyer ever :D
About hallf of mine are blank, the half that isn't blank I just ignore, and this takes care of the ones that really bother me

(if you're using chrome you can just drag it to your bookmarks bar, then click it on any page)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
During the inspection of some parts last week(I'm in QC) I found several small problems with a pressure setting valve body. Some dimensions were .001" oversize and the zinc phosphate coating on the inner bore of the part was overdone and had started growing 'crystals' on the metal surface. I mentioned both problems to my department boss and asked what I should do. He said, "you are being to picky. Just keep measuring until you find a spot that is in tolerance and send the parts through. We could find a reason to reject everything and our job is to move the parts through." Well, I didn't agree with this idea, but not wanting to make an argument with 'the boss', I did as he suggested, only I added "approved per conversation with Mr. Soandso" after my signature. I also made a copy of the drawing with the problems noted and circled in red, and placed that in my desk drawer.

Today several engineers, executives and some customer 'big wigs' came in and proceeded to surround me at my station in the QC department. The boss had sent them to me, when they had a question on WHO had inspected the parts mentioned above. (He didn't tell them about directing me to pass the parts) As the conversation evolved, it was clear the parts had caused some problems with the customers equipment and that fixing the new problems was NOT going to be easy or cheap. The customer wanted our company to pay for it, and the upper managment types wanted to 'blame' someone for the problem and perhaps fire them. After being reminded by the company V.P. that falsifying inspection documents was a Federal offense for which I could be fined and jailed, I suprised the group by telling them to "wait right there." I went and pulled the inspection records AND retrieved the paperwork from my desk that I had fortuitously saved. When I returned I placed the stack of papers on in front of this kangaroo court gathering and announced that I HAD found the problems with the part and I HAD made note of it, but I was 'directed' to pass them and to not be so 'picky'. I also informed them to look closer at my signature on the documents and notice that I qualified the approval as being directed by my supervisor and not by me, and finished by saying that the company could bring me up on charges for this incident, but with my copies of the original documents showing I didn't approve the material 'on my own', such action would only result in escalating the litigation process into areas which probably would not turn out good for the company. I left the area when the groups attention turned on my supervisor. I didn't hear a word more about the incident, and my 'boss' was not around all day either.

:)

Cover your own ass people, because your superiors will throw you under the bus at the first sign of trouble on their part.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@ Kermt2

Good story. Two things come to mind.

1) You have (had, hopefully) a dung head for a boss. It happens, dangit!

2) Keep your head down for a while. The dung head may have some friends higher up. A real shame, but it too, happens.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
All the possible consequences of 'being right' in this case have occured to me. None of them (considering Human nature) seem to have a happy ending. At the very best I may have simply put off the date of my final paycheck. I WILL make it clear to them, that having a lawsuit filed against them for wrongful termination may cost them more in the long run than they would save by getting rid of me, but at the end of the day, the people with the money are holding most of the cards in their hand, and we 'little wage slaves' are at their mercy.

:(

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
That is too bad Kermit2. I hate to see people put in this position, or even felling this way, for looking after the company's concerns. I know it happens though. If it's any consolation at all, I can assure you that the same thing happens near the top too.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Kermit,

The money holders may terminate you, but your termination would generate some negative press, as you would be a witness against them in any lawsuits filed by their customers if they fail to make it right.

Are you satisfied with yourself and your actions? I'm sure you are as you did the right actions when facing an impasse with your immediate supervisor. I'm also assuming you didn't have an avenue to go higher than your supervisor, either by not knowing, or the company doesn't clarify that process.

You are trusted with being the PITA, to save the company money. I just hope the Company realizes it. Your performance reeks of ethical behavior. That too should be realized by the company's higher echlon.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I had a similar situation, but it was with civilian electronics. Basically a part was speced 1.0 ±0.05db. When I was testing some prototypes (which makes their specs more important still) it was 1.1db. A manager basically ordered me to approve them. Being a union shop I told him no, he was going to have to use his inspection stamp to approve it, not mine. Since he didn't have a leg to stand on he left. If an engineer had told me the same thing I would have asked for a waver (come to think of it I asked the manager for one too).

Thinking back over it we were still a defense contractor, I don't think he would want his name associated with the behavior he showed. Back then we had an office run by DECASO (dern if I knew what the initials were), but the person in that office worked for the military, not Rockwell.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Mind-blowing! So you are not allowed to do your job, but if you don't, you risk prison. That's a real catch-22. I wonder whether operating in this climate of fear will work out well for the organisation in the long term. Ignoring quality control has had some pretty poor outcomes at times, particularly if the government gets involved.

Perhaps a change of occupation would be advised, if at all possible, whether or not this is imposed on you by the management. Your present situation sounds unhealthy.