The Art of Invention

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Today I was struck with an idea.

I soldered two wires, wrote some code, and it worked the first time. Better than expected.

It will be a ground breaking product. Nothing like it has ever existed before.

This is how inventions happen.

Enjoying a Guinness right now.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I had an idea too. It involves using my cellphone and SMS to run diagnostics and take corrective action in the event of a server failure. I'll heat up the soldering iron just as soon as I finish my utility "push out" project.

PS: I'm posting this from my Chromebox, which I'll be converting to Ubuntu.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Today I was struck with an idea.

I soldered two wires, wrote some code, and it worked the first time. Better than expected.

It will be a ground breaking product. Nothing like it has ever existed before.

This is how inventions happen.

Enjoying a Guinness right now.
Sold my first 1,000 pieces today. Awesome product. Easy sale.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Soldered two wires together, to some other device? Trying to make my questions generic, so as to preserve "your anonymity".

Really, some sort of micro is assumed, since you had to write code.

So this leads to my question. What is the minimum number of connections (soldered wires) are necessary for something useful?

I propose six. Will 'splain my reasoning later.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well then, my congrats to you still stand. How many patents do you actually have on your name?
I have two patents with my name on them. The companies that own them didn't even give me the "good and valuable consideration" of $1 for my efforts.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I have two patents with my name on them. The companies that own them didn't even give me the "good an valuable consideration" of $1 for my efforts.
Yes. I too, in the past, had freely donated my brain towards others' financial betterment. I quit that 17 years ago.