Thanks for all the extra sub-threads.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by GopherT, Jun 24, 2016.

1. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    So, now that we have all these extra sub-threads and there is a subtopic for everything, why do we need a Chat section? Maybe we can turn the chat section to an area where we can debate about which sub-thread each new post should (or shouldn't) go.

Few circuits are purely digital so "Digital Design" thread may get boring unless we do allow discussion of rise time, propagation delay and other analog aspects of a digital circuit. "Analog and Mixed" signal can take care of just about everything that the old "Electronics Chat" category handled unless the frequency gets too high, I guess, then the thread may have to move to RF - unless RF is specifically for communication. I guess RF would have to be further clarified that it is NOT part of a network, otherwise it should probably go under "Computers and Communication".

Now, I am sure we can chat about all that under the Electronic Chat, which will essentially become a place where members can argue about electronics-related definitions and categorization things - kind of the "On Topic" version of "Off Topic".

The one thing I am concerned about is the Projects section. Can any project question be started there? I mean what if someone has a project that clearly is for the Analog Mixed Signal category but, it is not just a question, it is really about his project. Should he post in "Projects" or "Analog and Mixed Signal"? If he can post to either, does that either option also apply to Homework? I mean, do homework questions about Analog and mixed signal need to be posted in Homework, Analog and Mixed Signal, or, if it is a homework project, um, do I dare ask?

2. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I dunno -- I guess improvement of 'file order' (CIP: 'SEO') is 'part and parcel' of the legitimate mission of all manner of 'librarians' (informational forum hosts included):) - Following the inevitable 'teething pains' I expect it'll all 'come right':cool:
    For my part, I hope 'General Chat' remains as is -- Being, as it is, my 'Home Room' on these fora:):D

Very best regards
    HP:)

3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Am I using this site correctly? I never even look at the 'Forums' list. I just click 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts' and read what interests me.

And none of my new threads are ever "on topic" -- if they were, I wouldn't need a new thread -- so, this simplifies things greatly...

shortbus and djsfantasi like this.
  4. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    So many cubbies that an attempt to think outside of the box just puts those thoughts into another box.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I hear ya! -- Subsets, intersections, unions - Arggg! --Where's Georg Cantor in our moment of need?!:rolleyes: -- Even so, I feel said policy will improve the 'relevant hit count' - with benefits all around (following 'settlement' of the described ambiguities)...

Optimistically
    HP:D

6. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    I found the "today's posts" view. No more sub-threads! Now it looks like my email inbox - thousands of messages and no folders. So, the site manage does all that work to cull and sort old posts and doesn't realize one is better.

image.jpg

7. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I likewise find 'Today's Posts" and "New Posts" handy:) --- My stance is merely that the increased number of sub-fora may foster enhanced 'search engine optimization' and, hence, overall site visibility/utility...:)

Very best regards

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
  9. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Many posts won't fit happily into a single category. I think the mods are going to be overloaded shunting posts from one forum to another :(.

10. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    Same here: I access this site's content through the 'New Posts' link and then scan down the resulting list for interesting items and open each one in a new browser tab. When I'm done picking out the stuff I'd like to read, I hit the 'Mark Forums Read' link to reset for the next visit to AAC. I pay no attention at all to the 'Forums' list, and until I encountered this thread and the 'New Organization' thread, was unaware that anything had changed-- to me, it looks the same as before.

What are these "extra sub-threads" we're discussing? I can't find them.

(If it makes any difference, I'm viewing the site in the old "Blue Mode", not in the new "Orange Mode.")

shortbus likes this.
  11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Sorry GopherT but my first thought was: the bored housewife syndrome: "now, where could we move the sofa to?"; "Should we buy new curtains?" :) :)

I cannot believe it now, but years ago, I was not aware of "lasts posts" and every time I came in, I searched every single sub forum to look for new posts . Even email notifications, I do not use them much nowadays.

12. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    I know several advantages of subforums. However, I still like the original. It is much more simpler. The new categories have too many sub forums.

13. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    FWIW I feel some 'narrowing' and 'parceling' of topic may be beneficial - granting the continued existence of a 'General Forum' accommodative of the many inquiries that will invariably 'fall through the loop', as it were:)
    In any case, success of the initiative will depend, to no small extent, upon judicious application of stringency/leniency to 'topic enforcement'...

My $.02:cool:

Best regards

14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    My $0.02 is the explosion of the sub forums is a piece of pure bull hockey.

Once I could browse the 3-4 forums I had an interest in. Now I have an extra 4 sub forums just for general that are hair splittingly different so we'll need another forum just to discuss the proper placement of certain topics. The output driver for an OOK RF power amp, is that digital, wireless & RF, or power?

But it sure makes the place look snappy. Is it up for sale again?

GopherT likes this.
  15. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    --Emphasis added--

I'm not seeing sub fora under General Electronics Chat (regardless of 'style' selection):confused: -- Are said fora available only by 'special' subscription/invitation?

Best regards
    HP

16. GopherT

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm still loving all of the new threads.

The first thread in each of the first three threads shows PWM power supplies.

image.png