Texting While Driving Options

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
From my observations, there are three methods of texting while driving.
1. Holding the phone with one hand, up and just below eye level, and single-thumbing the keypad. Maybe the least dangerous?
2. Holding the phone with one hand, down and to one side so that other drivers can't so easily see it, while single-thumbing the keypad. Probably the most dangerous.
...and one I saw for the first time today...
3. Holding the phone against the center of the steering wheel with the index fingers of both hands and double-thumbing the keypad while manipulating the steering wheel with the other six digits.
Are there other ways to perform this reckless maneuver? How?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Are there other ways to perform this reckless maneuver?
I wouldn't know about that -- I do know, however, that my description of the appropriate penalty for such wonton wanton negligence would tend to be in violation of "6 TOS section 2" :mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: Y'all happy now?:p

TTFN
HP:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Since I drive a manual transmission, I leave the phone in the cup-holder and randomly claw ar the digits while repeatedly checking the screen. Steering is normally done with my right knee because I need to hold the coffee cup with my left hand (note that the phone was in the cup holder). My right knee is only available because I am able to engage the cruise control which I have over-ridden the low-speed cutoff so I can use it in the city. I have darkly tinted windows so nobody can see my head bobbing down to check the phone in my cup-holder. Kind of sucks because I can't see much at night - but traffic is usually lighter then. I'm not sure what you mean by more dangerous and less dangerous - cars do have airbags you know. Some new models even put the brakes on for you when some jackass pulls out infront of you when your using your phone.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
On the subject of 'text driving' there was an excellent (British produced) PSA frankly demonstrative of the catastrophic physical and long-term social consequences thereof -- Annoyingly, it was 'pulled' on the basis that it was 'too grisly' and 'depressing' Goly! Goly!:rolleyes:

For the curious, even the full length version may readily be found on YouTube -- Out of common courtesy I shall refrain from linking it here...

Still, to anyone having kids at 'that age', you may wish to insist upon its viewership as prerequisite to auto ownership...

Best regards
HP

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Smartphone addiction is at epic proportions. I worked for a company that made IMTS (Google it!), was peripherally involved with the first large scale field trial of cellular service by Ameritech, had a bag phone, a brickphone, a flip phone, a stick phone, and now a smartphone, but I never expected the detrimental effect that cellular service would have on so many facets of society: e.g., lost lives, wasted work time, and degradation of personal social skills.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
e.g., lost lives, wasted work time, and degradation of personal social skills.
A UK, TV documentary showed some horrific car crashes due to drivers fiddling with their mobile phones while driving.

They also had a driving simulator display showing how driving ability was effected by using phones while driving.
A number of different hazards were presented on a moving display, most drivers just 'ploughed' into the hazard.!

A particularly graphic one, was of a young woman pushing a pram over a pedestrian road crossing, the pram an the baby were totalled by the car.
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
À la post #8??? --- Ya know, back-reading a single page thread doesn't take that long! ;););):D
hi,
I think you do yet not understand how open forums work.

Just because a previous post briefly mentions a particular aspect of an OP's opening post, does not mean other posters cannot later post a more detailed explanation of the topic or in fact repeat what has already been posted.

My post did give a more detailed explanation of the TV documentary, after reading your post.

E

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Sometimes you don't need to be fiddling with your phone; some people don't even stop to look if there is on-coming traffic. Yesterday a lady just pulls out not even looking; of course I expect that on my Motorcycle. Second time this week another lady in a small car coming out of wall mart and a big truck in front of me; pulls into the parking lot and she's on the other side pulling out; I'm luck I to see the back of her mini car and once again I expected her to pull out. The trouble I have; I can't see little "Lucy" Teenage girl txting behind me about to crash into me while avoiding grandma pulling out in front of me.

Utah Laws prohibit dropping your head while driving to fiddle with your phone; but it's legal to put it above and to the side and fiddle.

I don't txt and drive; I speak text or ask it to dial a number I want and put them on speaker. That way I can keep my eyes on the road; if I feel I need to look something up or need to fiddle with the phone I pull over.

kv