Texas Instruments Ti58/59 Battery Terminals

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by petermj, Mar 28, 2013.

1. petermj

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I have a couple of old Ti58 and 59 calculators from Texas Instruments. The had a battery pack (3 AA rechargeable batteries) and they have leaked causing the battery terminals on the calculator motherboard to corrode and break off.

How / where can I get a replacement set of battery terminals for this calculator?

2. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    They are likely custom and repair parts are unlikely but.. Keystone makes a bunch of battery clips (and lots of other hardware stuff) so see if they have something that might work. Look under Products->Battery & Coin Cell Holders, Contacts & Clips

Sometimes you can buff/sand the tabs but if really corroded you won't have much luck. If you have some self-adhesive copper strip/foil etc. (used to be used for prototyping boards) you can stick a strip to the fouled tabs and solder to the board/wires. I've done that once or twice.

On the other hand, new calculators are pretty cheap...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Can you show some pictures.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Try making your own battery clips with pieces of brass shims.

5. petermj

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Hi, thanks for all the info; someone asked for a picture and so I'm attaching one... I hope this works, as it's my first attempt at a picture upload here!

FYI: The picture perhaps isn't that clear -- what it is showing are the two battery terminals that have snapped off (just after they have done a turn up from the PCB) There is still a small tag, but it just isn't long enough to make contact with the battery pack's terminals.