Texas Instruments LaunchPad a good idea?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Good day, everyone!
I am trying to learn how to program microcontrollers, and the Texas Instruments Launchpad ( http://search.digikey.com/scripts/D...link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=launch+pad&x=0&y=0 ) was recommended to me by a couple of people. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this product and whether or not it is a good dev board to get started with?
I have had a little bit of programming experience with the VEX robots, but I would like to do some more programming for microcontrollers. I am a hands-on learner, so that is why I'm looking at buying one right off--so that I will be able to practice what I am learning as I am learning it.
Thanks in advance for any information!
Best regards,
Der Strom

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Okay, I guess this wasn't a very popular topic :D
Anyway, I thought I'd give an update:
I broke down and bought a PICkit2 Programmer and a couple of 18F1330s, downloaded MPLAB and the C18 compiler, and have gotten a good start on programming with that. I don't think I'm going to worry about buying the LaunchPad after all. Thanks anyway for reading, everyone! :)
Best regards,
Der Strom

HallMark

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Yes, I have attended the seminar by TI and also buy one KIT in that Seminar they have also shown the demo using The new features GRACE which was embed with Code Composer.

I think if you are starting your working on embedded then Launch Pad is not bad platform. Just go ahead with it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yes, I have attended the seminar by TI and also buy one KIT in that Seminar they have also shown the demo using The new features GRACE which was embed with Code Composer.

I think if you are starting your working on embedded then Launch Pad is not bad platform. Just go ahead with it.
Thank you, HallMark. Sorry to bring up this old thread again. I guess I missed it when you first replied.

I am still considering getting it at some point, just for the convenience of the dev board. At this point, all I have is my PIC and my solderless breadboard, which is rather sloppy. Thank you very much for your feedback :)

Regards,
Der Strom

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have programmed a lot of different chips over the many years. My first exposure to assembler coding was on a DEC PDP-8/S.

I programmed with PICs for a few years and dropped them in a hurry and no looking back when the Atmel AVRs came out.

My choice would be Freescale MC9S08 family or any Atmel ATtiny or ATmega chips.