testing wires?

vultac

Joined Mar 2, 2009
Hi there, I would like to ask who do i check the polarity a power cable (red,black wires)??? how do i know which 1 is negative which 1 is positive using multimeter? and the diode function in the multimeter does it has similiar property as the "buzz" we get when wires are conducting? thx

vultac

Joined Mar 2, 2009
how do i measure the voltage? i don have the plug, just the pin.

Diode function..cause normally we have got some sort of function which allow us to test whether the wires are conducting or not isint it? and when it is it will give a buzz sound?

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
A multimeter expects a certain polarity when measuring voltage. You'll either see (for example) 12 volt reading, or -12 volt reading(in which case your leads are backwards). So...

To check polarity, set the multimeter to read voltage. If you're unsure how much voltage you're going to be reading, start with the highest setting on the meter so you don't blow it up and work down from there. Take your red multimeter lead and touch it to the red wire, put your black lead to the black wire. If you get a positive reading on the meter, red = positive, black = negative. If you get a negative reading on the meter, then red is negative and black is positive. Easy yeah?

Multimeters don't conduct, they read. There should typically not be any "buzzing" emitting from your meter. Maybe I misunderstand your question regarding the diode.

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
how do i measure the voltage? i don have the plug, just the pin.

Diode function..cause normally we have got some sort of function which allow us to test whether the wires are conducting or not isint it? and when it is it will give a buzz sound?
If the wires/leads/whatever aren't conducting, you wont get any reading on voltage or current. So I don't see the issue with that, no reading = no conductance.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You can´t measure voltage on diode-check setting. It can destroy your meter, depending on the voltage you try to measure.
In other words, what is connected to the meter on picture one?
Use the voltage setting like ke5nnt described above.

vultac

Joined Mar 2, 2009
if theres no current flowing the wire, how could the multimeter be able to supply small current to check whether its conducting or not?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
if theres no current flowing the wire, how could the multimeter be able to supply small current to check whether its conducting or not?
If you are simply checking continuity of the wire, use the Ohmmeter setting - there is a battery in your meter to supply current on this setting.

If you just want to know if your supply is center positive or not, use the Voltmeter setting.

The diode check setting is used for checking diodes. You are not checking a diode in this application, so don't use the diode check setting.

vultac

Joined Mar 2, 2009
thanks for erplying, what if its for example a ribbon cable which has been stripped already at both ends could i still test it the same way? using ohmeter settings??

and for supply? how using the voltmeter could i tell it is center positive or not?

vultac

Joined Mar 2, 2009
because in some multimeter there hav this function with is together witht eh diode whereby u could hear a buzz sound when the positive and negative lead are put together.