Testing Triak In Circuit Test

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by AHMARAFAH, Jul 30, 2006.

1. AHMARAFAH

Thread Starter Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I Want To Know Clear Steps In Order To Test Triak Using Meter In Circuit Test:)

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Here is one of several test techniques that can be found by using google to search the Internet.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/triactst.htm

It is easiest to check a triac more thoroughly if you can isolate all three terminals from the circuit in which it is used.

hgmjr

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

Yes, do the test out of circuit. If the tirac is of any size - meaning current capability - then it should exhibit no conduction anode to cathode and reverse, same for gate to anode. But the conduction gate to cathode shows low resistance in both directions. There's no pn junction foreward and reverse visible. If it's not a dead short, it's probably ok.

4. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I find I can switch the gate into an ON state using an Analogue meter (who remembers them..?) Red probe to gate, black to MT1. By carefully manoeuvring the probe on the gate onto MT2, I can then measure a short across the main terminals. Lifting the meter probes for a second switchs the Triac off, and a quick measure between MT1 and MT2 should now show open.