Testing for sine wave quality

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hanajack, Sep 22, 2012.

1. hanajack

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    [​IMG] Testing for sine
    I have a military, trailer mounted, 4-cyl. diesel generator made in the mid '50's.
    Use it all the time - I'm off-power. You set the engine speed to the desired cycles and then dial in however many volts you want.

I would like to know if it puts out true/pure sine but don't know how to determine that. Any advise, tips, information appreciated.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Most AC power generators put out a fairly good sine-wave. If you need to measure it then an Oscilloscope is the best way, as suggested by Dd.

4. hanajack

Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks for that; and the confirmation. I'll check out "Oscilloscopes for dummies".
    Re: "Most AC power generators put out a fairly good sine-wave." Would that apply to one made in the 50's?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  5. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Probably, it's natural for an AC generator to make a sine like waveform as it is a rotating device and sinewaves are a math form that comes from a circle.

If your AC generator has fixed RPM and you "dial in the voltage" it probably is an AC generator with adustable field. It will probably be sine-like unless overloaded.

Maybe you should say why you need a good sine shaped AC? There might be specific issues.

6. hanajack

Sep 22, 2012
    It doesn't have a fixed RPM. The engine speed is adjustable for the purpose of setting the cycles per second on the meter [range 50 to 65]. I rarely have to adjust the engine speed once the cycles are set at 60. [For some reason on the door it says to set it at 61.8 cycles at initial start up - I never do. This is a heavy duty US Army tactical unit I purchased 25+ years ago at a DOD auction].
    With the cycles set, you can dial in whatever voltage you want. I usually dial in 112 to 116 volts due to the length of extensions I'm using. I use to set it at 125 volts thinking of the possible loss of voltage in the lines but destroyed a vacuum motor.
    As to need for true sine, there are no utilities in my area and I use a lot of battery stuff: tools, laptop, cell phone and don't want to damage the batteries - so I never charge them with this generator [go into town for that]. Be nice to charge them when I need to use electric power tools or hair dryer to defrost the gas fridge.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Generators are normally designed to put out a good sinewave since any harmonics tends to reduce efficiency and increase heating in the generator. If it was designed for the Army, it likely was built very well and I would expect the output to be a good sinewave.

Generally the only devices that output a sinewave with significant distortion are electronic inverters since it requires a more elaborate and expensive circuit to generate a low distortion sinewave with those devices.

hanajack likes this.