Testing car electrics need help please

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I don't own a Getz but do remove the starter he will most likely remove some parts from above. The OP should first determine which part is faulty, measuring the voltage that goes to the motor seems the best IMO.
It's just that I had the exact same thing going on a few weeks ago and repairing it myself saved me from scrapping the car or pay 100s to have it done in a shop somewhere...
The used part cost me 25 bucks.

But the OPs problem maybe something different too. He may also go to hyundai-forums.com

Simplicio

Joined Mar 17, 2015
What's the year of the Hyundai Getz and which motor? I had EXACTLY the same problem some time ago with an Accent 2003 when it was extremely cold here, starter turned 3 times then the short cable from solenoid to starter motor blew up, too much corrosion and too much current.

At least you seem to know where the starter is, take a picture and post it here.

The starter motor is a simple brushed DC motor with really thick wires, weakest point being the brushes and the wire to the solenoid.
Year is 2003 1399cc Haven't yet jacked up car to say for definite that there is no access to the starter motor and it's solenoid but from what I can see from above it does look enclosed in what I think is the bell housing so all I have is the cable end plugged into the top of the bell housing.If I have no success at top of car will jack up and confirm or otherwise my suspicion

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is there a way to confirm if the starter is engaged with the flywheel? If not, starting is a piece of cake. I used to start my car myself with nothing more than a push from one foot out the door. I would use reverse because I could get more power and speed pushing backwards.

If the starter is jammed into the flywheel, I wouldn't recommend this.

Simplicio

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Is there a way to confirm if the starter is engaged with the flywheel? If not, starting is a piece of cake. I used to start my car myself with nothing more than a push from one foot out the door. I would use reverse because I could get more power and speed pushing backwards.

If the starter is jammed into the flywheel, I wouldn't recommend this.
Two of us have tried the rocking back in forward in gear in the limited space we have but no change which is why I was thinking it may have to be a push out on to main road for a longer run at it .

Can't tell if it's engaged with flywheel just felt that was a probability because problem came immediately after the mistaken in gear start with hand brake on ,just a split second but seems to have somehow caused the problem unless a strange coincidence

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Question is how best to test that cable remembering that I can't seem to get to starter solenoid or starter motor terminals
Not sure on the electrical for this car but might be able to test between relay load output and starter earthing point on the chassis. Wouldn't help diagnose cable faults though :(

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Simplicio
Pull the cables off of the battery (neg first, clean the battery terminal and the cable clamps. Corrosion build up causes high resistance and low power to the starter. Even if you can charge it to 13.5 volts, only 6 v or less may be getting to the starter if you have corrosion between clamps and terminal. It may not be visible until you remove the terminals. Use 80 grit (coarse ) sandpaper or wire brush to clean the corrosion. Stay away from acid and liquid cleaners - they make a mess of your battery mounting hardware.

Simplicio

Joined Mar 17, 2015
@Simplicio
Pull the cables off of the battery (neg first, clean the battery terminal and the cable clamps. Corrosion build up causes high resistance and low power to the starter. Even if you can charge it to 13.5 volts, only 6 v or less may be getting to the starter if you have corrosion between clamps and terminal. It may not be visible until you remove the terminals. Use 80 grit (coarse ) sandpaper or wire brush to clean the corrosion. Stay away from acid and liquid cleaners - they make a mess of your battery mounting hardware.
Thanks for that GopherT , had already done that and used a degreasing agent but unfortunately,in this case,hasn't helped.

Simplicio

Joined Mar 17, 2015
If a solenoid can be heard moving eg one on starter motor does that necessarily mean the starting motor itself is getting enough to try and turn over the engine,presume there could be voltage loss either to the solenoid or between the solenoid and starter motor .

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
assumptions upon reading thread

fact - automotive components are manufactured to suit requirements. its a small engine with a small flywheel and a small starter motor.

how old is the battery? and you typed the wiring looked poor? 12 years of engine does have a tendency to do that to wiring.

a jammed starter motor is also not good, good possibility of a few teeth taken off the flywheel ring gear causing it to jam.

your scenario taking 12 years into consideration, the amount of road/oil residue from the engine accumulated, age of the battery and expertise, your easiest option would be call an auto electrical mechanic.
most small auto elecs will make home calls.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
If a solenoid can be heard moving eg one on starter motor does that necessarily mean the starting motor itself is getting enough to try and turn over the engine,presume there could be voltage loss either to the solenoid or between the solenoid and starter motor .
Did you have a look underneath the car? Connect the meter with alligator clips to the output terminal of the solenoid that goes to the starter motor (that's positive) and the car body/motor etc (that's negative). Put the meter on the windshield so you can see it from inside. Try to start the motor, if battery voltage is there then the starter motor needs to be checked, otherwise it's something else , could be the solenoid too.