Testing a regulated power supply

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Vasanthkini, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hey!:)

I am working on a DC-DC buck converter which works for 4.5V to 20V input.I was supplying the power through a linear regulated power supply which gives me the required DC voltage.At 7V,the driver IC i was making using smoked off.This happened quite a lot many times.The observation was that,one particular Linear supply was making all the problem.Now i want to check if the linear is working fine.I need to test it before using it again.How do i test it?:confused:

My RPS looks like the first one in the picture

http://img1.tradeget.com/kpasinstronic/OYLR3SIL1p1dc_regulated_power_supply.jpg

Thanks!!

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Why are you so sure it is the powersupply?
    Do you have the schematic of the DC-DC buck converter?
    Perhaps there is something with that.

Bertus

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Do you have an independent meter to verify that the power supply was really putting out the indicated voltage?

4. Vasanthkini

Thread Starter Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hey!
    :)
    The same DC-DC converter works fine with all other available Linear supplies.More over,not just DC-DC,but also many other circuits have smoked off when used along with the "killer linear supply".There was absolutely not short and still the IC was killed.The symptoms clearly made me(and many others here) depict that,the supply is the culprit.How do i go about the testing part of it?I am planning to connect a DSO to the linear and continuously monitor its behavior.Is this the only way out or do i have any other better ways of doing it?

Thanks!