Testing a 12v Illuminated Rocker Switch

Richard Brown

Joined Jan 4, 2016
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone offering to help.

Okay. I've got a 24 volt electric scooter.

I have an off/on switch that I believe may be faulty. A Google image search indicates to me that this is most likely an "illuminated" switch. (Although I have no idea why it would be)

The switch has 3 places to connect wires. The wiring schematic indicates that one of these is Ground, and the other two are somehow "hot." The schematic shows 2 Red wires coming FROM the control module, while the Ground wire goes to the "charging circuit."

I've tested the switch with a multimeter set to test for continuity.
Per the schematic, from top to bottom #3 (Red) #2 (Red) #1 (Black)
Test between #1 and #2 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #1 and #2 (switch on) continuity.
Test between #1 and #3 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #1 and #3 (switch on) NO continuity.
Test between #2 and #3 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #2 and #3 (switch on) NO continuity.

My question is this. If #1 is Ground, and the other two are "hot," wouldn't this switch be designed to allow power to flow through the switch when in the "on" position by allowing the current to flow between #2 and #3 with #1 being Ground?

If so, shouldn't I have continuity between #2 and #3 showing the ability for current to flow through?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you have a part number for the switch? Or a datasheet?

If the switch is SPDT, there would never be continuity between #2 and #3; assuming typical break before make functionality.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello and thanks in advance to anyone offering to help.

Okay. I've got a 24 volt electric scooter.

I have an off/on switch that I believe may be faulty. A Google image search indicates to me that this is most likely an "illuminated" switch. (Although I have no idea why it would be)

The switch has 3 places to connect wires. The wiring schematic indicates that one of these is Ground, and the other two are somehow "hot." The schematic shows 2 Red wires coming FROM the control module, while the Ground wire goes to the "charging circuit."

I've tested the switch with a multimeter set to test for continuity.
Per the schematic, from top to bottom #3 (Red) #2 (Red) #1 (Black)
Test between #1 and #2 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #1 and #2 (switch on) continuity.
Test between #1 and #3 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #1 and #3 (switch on) NO continuity.
Test between #2 and #3 (switch off) NO continuity / Test between #2 and #3 (switch on) NO continuity.

My question is this. If #1 is Ground, and the other two are "hot," wouldn't this switch be designed to allow power to flow through the switch when in the "on" position by allowing the current to flow between #2 and #3 with #1 being Ground?

If so, shouldn't I have continuity between #2 and #3 showing the ability for current to flow through?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
What was your first indication of a problem? Was the light just burned out or was the whole thing dead?

Richard Brown

Joined Jan 4, 2016
Sorry, I was pulled away.

There was no specific indication of anything wrong. I was attempting to solve a problem in my circuit when I came across the switch. When I tried to test it I got off/on continuity between #1 and #2 but wasn't able to get anything from #3 no matter what combination I tried. I thought this kind of strange as it seemed to me that if it didn't "switch" in any way then what was it's function?spst_illuminated_waterproof_rocker_switch.jpg razor-e300-wiring-diagram-v11.jpg

According to the schematic, #3 is a power connection, #2 is a power connection, and #1 is a Ground.
#3 would be on the left, #2 in the center, and #1 on the right.
Vertically, #3 would be on the top (The same as if the switch were put into the "on" position.)

Richard Brown

Joined Jan 4, 2016
Well, my wife just threw my switch away accidentally so now I don't even know what switch to ask my local hardware store for in order to replace it.

Would any of you by chance happen to please know by looking at the schematic what I need to ask them for?

Thank you.

Richard Brown

Joined Jan 4, 2016
That's going to be the correct one?

Okay. Well, thank you very much then. I guess we can consider this thread closed and solved! :)

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Sorry, I was pulled away.

There was no specific indication of anything wrong. I was attempting to solve a problem in my circuit when I came across the switch. When I tried to test it I got off/on continuity between #1 and #2 but wasn't able to get anything from #3 no matter what combination I tried. I thought this kind of strange as it seemed to me that if it didn't "switch" in any way then what was it's function?View attachment 97807 View attachment 97809

According to the schematic, #3 is a power connection, #2 is a power connection, and #1 is a Ground.
#3 would be on the left, #2 in the center, and #1 on the right.
Vertically, #3 would be on the top (The same as if the switch were put into the "on" position.)
Yep, looks like a lighted rocker switch. he ground goes to one side of the light. 24 V light. The other side of the light goes to the switched side of the switch.