Test your vocabulary

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Here's a website where you can estimate how many English words you know in about five minutes: http://testyourvocab.com/

I took it twice (the second time more carefully than the first), and found out that my total vocabulary size is estimated to be 21,800 words.

For anyone who's paranoid, the survey at the end of the test is completely optional.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I must not be very well-educated, I've heard most of the words but have no idea what they mean, or at least not enough of an idea. 18,700.

EDIT: I must have sped through it the first time. Tried it again and got 20,200:

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=5588780
Similar to me. The first time I tried it I was also in a hurry and only got 17,900 I think.

@OBW0549: 35k is impressive!

@Brownout: I don't understand what you mean.:confused: That you got a lower score than desired?

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I would like to try, but don't want to give my email address. I know: use a throwaway email, but I can't seem to have an email address and not check it. o_O

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
18.800. Which I'm somewhat sure is an overestimate or perhaps not since I don't want to count each and every one of them English words I know and understand...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Not a problem. Archaic jargon is one of my hobbies, along with Ye Olde English, and some fractured Espanol (sometimes referred to as, "Bario Beaner"). :D
I had a side job (that paid extra to my low military pay) of typing up Castro's Spanish to English translated texts for FBIS that we intercepted in Key West from Cuba. Some of the translations were so hilarious we cracked up when typing them for transmission to FT. Meade. The guy could talk some stuff in Spanglish in his prime.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-....1/U- Studies 54no1-FBIS-BBC-Coverage-Web.pdf

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I would like to try, but don't want to give my email address. I know: use a throwaway email, but I can't seem to have an email address and not check it. o_O
You can skip the survey page, as @DerStrom8 mentioned.
For anyone who's paranoid, the survey at the end of the test is completely optional.
By my own admission, I guess I'm paranoid, because I skipped the survey too.:rolleyes:

@nsaspook: Wow, 38k! I wonder if anyone else can beat that.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You can skip the survey page, as @DerStrom8 mentioned.

By my own admission, I guess I'm paranoid, because I skipped the survey too.:rolleyes:

@nsaspook: Wow, 38k! I wonder if anyone else can beat that.
This old brain is filled with useless information that sometimes gets in the way. As we get older our responses to questions seems slower, it's not because our brains are slow, it's because we have so much cruft to sort through with all the endless possibilities.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Wow, 38k! I wonder if anyone else can beat that.
Fair chance. This site is populated with some the smartest people you will ever find. The down side is that people with that level of vocabulary don't feel a need to prove it, and so will not spend their time to take a survey.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Fair chance. This site is populated with some the smartest people you will ever find. The down side is that people with that level of vocabulary don't feel a need to prove it, and so will not spend their time to take a survey.
@#12: Such as you?;) I didn't see a score in any of your posts.