Test Point?

omdatov

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Hi,
I have to make a Printed circuit which has many test points, in fact what's the footprint of test point and what's the meaning of TP-30 and TP-60?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Are they a standard item? My catalogs show several different shapes and sizes. It also makes a difference if they are surface mount or through hole.

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
A test point could be an 'empty' pad with or without a center hole (eg a solid copper circle), or it could be a drilled pad with a short terminal pin or wire-wrap pin (or offcut of component lead) so you can clip a test lead on at the component side of the board.

An empty pad or circle would normally be used for testing from the solder side of the board, or pins fitted for testing after the circuit board is fitted to a mounting.

You can also get dedicated test point connectors, like a tiny 'hairpin' with an insulated center sleeve that gives a loop or eye offset clear of the board surface, or ball-end pins that accept a special snap fitting connector.

sbombs

Joined Feb 26, 2010
You may need to make your own footprint. I have them in thru-hole, and SMT. Sometimes a quick and dirty way to do it is to drop a resistor in there. Call it a zero Ohm resistor. Then solder a piece of wire in its place. This is handy for jumping traces too.