Test oscillators

vventura

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Hello all,

I'm new into electronics, i started by building a training kit which at the end didn't work, all measures taken by me seem right, at the end the troubleshooting guide, points either to the PIC or the 8 mhz ceramic oscillator. How can I test the ceramic oscillator, on the input I have 5v, but on the output I don't have anything, can I measure the output with a multimeter?

Best regards
Ventura

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
you can measure the output best using an oscilloscope or a scopemeter (the ones that looks like a DVM w/ large graphic LCD screen).

if u can guess around what happens at the output of the oscillator, using a voltmeter the readings might be around half the 5v voltage, when the oscillator is running. or maybe the readings will always change if you use a DVM.

once you got the oscillator running, just troubleshoot the PIC.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Is your ceramic element really an oscillator, or is it a resonator? A resonator has to be imbedded in a feedback loop in order to make an oscillator. You can't get an output from a resonator by simply connecting it to a power supply.
Can you post a schematic of your training kit?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There's not a lot that can go wrong with a resonator. A bit of static electricity can doom a microchip, though. Go ahead and test the resonator to be sure, but be prepared for the worst. You might indeed have to shell out a few dollars (plus shipping) for another PIC.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Make up a probe like this. Fit a 1nF cap from one of the oscillator pins to the cathode of a small signal diode. Anode of the diode to ground. Fit a 47K from cap/diode junction to your multimeter. Neg of your meter to ground. If the oscillator is working, you will have volts.