test light mods

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adamclark, Sep 20, 2014.

1. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    hello again, My favorite test light took a crap yesterday. It was the first REAL test light I ever bought 20 years ago when I first started installing mobile electronics. I have other ones that are quite nice, but I was thinking about trying to mod this one to do similar functions like my power probe test light does.. for those not familiar with power probe, Its a testlight with a long cord and battery clamps on the end of it. It has 2 LEDS, one green and one red.. when you probe a +wire the red LED lights.. If its a negative (grounded) wire the the green LED lights... further more it has a toggle switch, When you press up the red LED lights and it injects positive to the wire,, when pressed down, the green LED lights and it injects negative into the wire.....

I want to mods my very first test light to do this.. Any ideas on what IC to use or does it even need one? I know I need a green and red LED.. A similar toggle swith that will fit the test light right.. the cord and battery clamps.. A red and a black pushsbuttons... other than that im still gathering info...

2. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Which version of Power Probe do you have and what test light are you using. There is a circuit board in a Power Probe that you may not have enough space for in a regular test light. I've had my share of 12V test lights and cannot think of one big enough to accomodate all the parts of a PowerProbe. PowerProbes also have meters in them and audible alarm and a circuit breaker. Do you have room for all this?