Test Bench for PLC IO - 0 to 10V Analogue Input

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by TheArgyll, Jun 21, 2016.

1. TheArgyll

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Hello All,
    I am developing a test rig for a Programmable Logic Control I have bought to teach my son programming on.

I have the circuit diagrams for handling Digital Inputs/Outputs as I would like, however I have 2 Analogue Input channels that can only read 0-10v signals. Does anyone know of a simple device I could mount behind the front plate of a panel with a dial of some description protruding through to allow the user to determine the input voltage?

I am pretty new to the whole electrical/electronic side of things, so any advice or guidance anyone can offer would be most welcome.

Regards,
    TheArgyll.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  3. TheArgyll

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Thanks for replying Papabravo... Is a voltage follower something I would have to construct or can I buy one and chuck it in there with a potentiometer? I have Googled this and the hits seem to be circuit diagrams, which are currently horrifying to a newbie such as I! :)

Thanks again!
    Arg.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A Voltage follower is constructed from an operational amplifier wired in a particular configuration, as you can see from the links that I provided. For your application you should pick one that is cheap and operates with a single power supply.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Why not simply just a 10vdc supply and a 10k pot and a dial?
    Max.

6. tsan

Sep 6, 2014
    What is the input impedance/resistance of the analog input? It is typically that much high (more than 10 kohm) that a potentiometer can be used without voltage follower.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Depends on what PLC and analogue module.
    Max.