Tesla coil not working trouble shoot advice needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dante_clericuzzio, Mar 30, 2016.

1. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I am trying to make one tesla coil using 9 volt battery + 2222a transistor + 22k resistor and tesla coil that i wounded on the pvc pipe...but when connecting to the battery it only produce around 30 volt and sometimes up to 60 volt and for that reason i have some questions

1. What is the voltage to light up light bulb using the telsa coil?
    2. Why is the voltage keep fluctuating from 0 to 35 volt and sometimes 65 why not consistently producing the same voltage
    3. After few times of trying it then no longer can possibly wrong with it

See this video the voltage fluctuate randomly

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Do you mean a fluorescent bulb? You can light an LED with as little as 1.5V. No coil needed.
    You're seeing some sort of artifact. It's hard to tell what's going on without a schematic. How are you oscillating the signal to the coil?
    You're coil is probably draining the battery very quickly. With no power applied, measure the resistance of your coil primary.

3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the "flickering" of the voltage is due to r c oscilations at a lower frrequency.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Where's the C?

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Back to the "drawing board" :) None of what you've got there is near enough to make a "tesla coil" circuit that will work.

6. dante_clericuzzio

Thread Starter Member

Mar 28, 2016
    You meant the capacitor ? i didnt use any of that because i followed the video here

what required to make it work? would you mind to share some ideas