Terminating an unused op-amp

TechnicaliTee

Joined Oct 18, 2013
When using one of the two op-amps in a dual op-amp DIP (TLV2372), which is the best way to terminate inputs & output? Inputs tied together and then to GND or Vdd, and what of the output, tie that to GND or Vdd?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Don't tie the output to GND or Vdd. That could cause excessive current flow.
You could tie the output to the inverting input, and tie the non-inverting input to either rail. One rail might be better than the other in terms of standby current, depending on opamp topology (I haven't checked the TLV2372 spec).

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Don't tie the output to GND or Vdd. That could cause excessive current flow.
You could tie the output to the inverting input, and tie the non-inverting input to either rail. One rail might be better than the other in terms of standby current, depending on opamp topology (I haven't checked the TLV2372 spec).
I tie the non-inverting to the center of a voltage divider consisting of two 100k resistors between the rails on an OP amp powered by a single sided supply. This was recommended practices on the LT datasheet.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would tie the output to the inverting input and ground the non-inverting input. That way the amp output isn't saturated, which could conceivably have some adverse effect on the other amp, and it requires no added parts.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
After reading the TI app note referenced by djs, the advice should read: wire it as a voltage follower with inverting input tied to output, tie the non-inverting input to a (bypassed) dc voltage source greater than Vss and less than Vdd which is within the Common-Mode Range.

TechnicaliTee

Joined Oct 18, 2013
Yes, I could have Googled (I did a little) and looked-up details but having dialog with all of you is much more fun. Thanks for all the helpful feedback (no pun intended). You're all terrific! I'm looking forward to our next exchange. Now it's time to go play with a cranky Agilent B1500A. Wish me luck! ...I may end-up needing a bigger hammer. :confused:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I would tie the output to the inverting input and ground the non-inverting input. That way the amp output isn't saturated, which could conceivably have some adverse effect on the other amp, and it requires no added parts.
As recommended by Walter Jung in one of his books.