temperature display problems

oli5787

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Hello,

i am new to the forum, and i am in need for urgent help.

For my final ECAD project in my foundation degree i have been set the challenge of designing a circuit to display temperature and sound an alarm if the temperature is greater than 40 degrees between 8am and 12 noon.

the clock i have constructed fine and it works correctly. the problem i am having is designing a temperature circuit that can use an LM35 or simular component to display the temperature on a 7 segment display. the issue is that i am not allowed to use a PIC and all my previous projects have used them.

i am using the Proteus V6.9 simulation package if this helps

any advice or information would be grateful

Oliver

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Remember that microcontrollers are made up of circuits that were discrete long before they were incorporated into micros!

You'll probably need a buffer between the sensor and the rest of the circuit. Then some type of A/D converter, then something to convert the digits into 7-seg data.

You'll also need to define the temperature range you'll need to cover, and how sensitive your equipment needs to be: do you take 1 degree, 2 degree, 5 degree steps?

What kind of A/D converter are you going to use? THere are probably a gazillion circuits on the Net with different kinds of A/D converters, and just as many LM35 circuits.

My first approximation for this was to buffer the sensor with an opamp, feed that into a set of window comparators, which feed into the address lines of two EPROMs. The EPROMs have the patterns needed for the seven-segment displays. THis is a crude solution, but I would then take and improve the different parts.

--Rich

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Or you use a parallel output A to D and latch the conversion into some IC's that have outputs going to BCD to 7 segment drivers.

oli5787

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Thank you all for your input it was greatly appreciated,

does any have an example circuit i can work from because i am really strugglyinh to design this circuit as silly as it may sound it has completlt baffeled me. all the circuit designs i have tried are reiggled with faults and i am unsure as ot why. i have attached 2 screen shots of the half built circuit for the temperature display.

the 7 segments must display form 0 to 50,
any one who can help i would be more than greatful.

Regards

OLLIE

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You are feeding an analog signal into a digital circuit.
This will not work.
There has to be a conversion from analog to digital.

Greetings,
Bertus

oli5787

Joined Jun 16, 2009
So what am i meant to be using?? because i thought if i fed the analogue temperature sensor into the comparator and then compared it to an R/2R circuit then the comparator could be able to give a digital out??????

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When comparing, the counters must be synchronized.
This can be done by resetting both counters (for the display and dac).

Sorry for not seeing the dac.

Greetings,
Bertus

oli5787

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Hi,

thats fine, so when you say all the counters do you mean the 390s and the 163's must all have the same clock pulse? how doe i turn th output of the comparator inot a pulse for the clocks to run on? can you see any major reasons why it will not work as i am having pages of errors from proteus atm.

oli5787

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Hello,

i have completed the circuit however i have an issue with the counter resetting mid coutn can any one offer any insight inot this i have attached the circuit diagram

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Helllo,

You must create a loop.
1) Reset the counters.
2) start counting.
3) Latch to display when count temperature reached (output comparator).
Goto 1)

Greetings,
Bertus