Temperature controller vs. motor direction

tcdk

Joined Jan 7, 2009
Hi!

I got tired of the usual parafin window openers for greenhouses, and beacuase I already had a bounch of chain-motors/electric window openers, laying around, I got the great Idead, to make it electrical.

I ordered a 24v temperature controller on ebay, for $12, but i'm not sure I got the right type.

My chain-motors work like this:
24v are supplied on the 2 wires, until the chain are full out. The motor automatical stops there.
To close the window/retract the chain, you just have to switch +/-, so the motor runs backwards.

I have attatched a diagram on the temp. controller, and how it should be set up, but I ran into a problem with constant power on the motor, as you can see.

Does any of you have a suggestion, how I can avoid this? Or should I looke for another type of controller?
I already have a 220v, that have isolated "Cool" and "heat" outputs, but I can not find those with 24 volts.

Will I be able to do this, by adding som diodes, to rectify the current?

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
You can either add another 24vdc supply or use a cross-connected DPDT relay.

The controller should work fine.

Of course if you can find a DPDT controller it would work without other parts.

tcdk

Joined Jan 7, 2009
You can either add another 24vdc supply or use a cross-connected DPDT relay.

The controller should work fine.

Of course if you can find a DPDT controller it would work without other parts.
Thanks, I should have some relays laying around.

I just can't wrap my head around how to connect it with the relay (To much work, and to much heat today)

I am assuming that the internal relay in your controller (Far left), simply switches back and forth at your desired temperature, and that the motor simply stops at the end of it's travel automatically. If you use 24V compatible relays, I think my diagram here would work for you:

If it works in the wrong direction, simply switch the motor wires.