Tell me everything you know!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Pleasedonthitme, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Pleasedonthitme

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Imagine you could go back in time and meet the past you back when you were learning electronics. Because you clearly understand that knowledge of electronics is much more valuable than anything else, you dutifully decide to give your "past you" all the knowledge of electronics you've acquired. (Assume that the "past you" understands Ohm's law and the components, but doesn't know about them in HUGE detail.)

Pretend now that I am the past you. Please tell me everything you know. (Just to make a point, I don't mind if I can't understand all of it yet, please just give me as much as you can).
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If it were only that easy.
    KJ6EAD, absf and PackratKing like this.
  3. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I would tell him/me/you that learning electronics is a long process, fraught with head scratching and tiny wiring mistakes that cause big problems - don't sweat what you don't know, instead, focus on learning what you know and why it works. Understand the implications of the basics and why they work as opposed to simply knowing that they work.

I would tell him/me/you that college is a must (but we already knew that) and don't skimp on the internships.

That and that the long hair was awesome.
  5. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Time is our most precious resource, so my advice would be to learn how to learn efficiently. It will save you a lot of time. Assume anything and everything that you might get interested in has already been studied in depth and well documented long before you arrived. That assumption will almost always be correct. So learn to look for useful references, and learn to USE them before you spend precious time at the lab bench. Talk to people, such as the folks around here.

Conversely, don't be afraid to tinker in the lab. It's a great way to learn things at a deeper, more memorable level. Just be aware that what you are usually doing is learning, only rarely discovering or inventing.

If you have the luxury of having the option, don't waste time on things that you aren't passionate about, even if you're being paid for it. Work on what you are passionate about, and try to find someone who will pay you to do that.
    Pleasedonthitme likes this.
  6. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    I would tell him to become a plumber. :D:D:D
    ErnieM and Chalma like this.
  7. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    I wuld tell me not to marry that first one.
  8. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    The past you maybe doesn't have the google, but today you got it, so much and much more knowledges are there that you just google it.

Because google so i reducing to spend the money to buy the books.

Unless you point out the limited range, otherwise nobody could give it all to you.
  9. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009

I would use the time-machine to talk to someone else.
  10. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    This is what I know, no matter how much I know, I will never have the time to know, what I need to know to know everything........
  11. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    I had an interest in electricity from a young age. Worked as an electrician and had a good understanding of voltage type circuits, ohms law, and transformer theory.

Even tubes made sense.

Electronics and transistors were magic.

While in the hospital someone gave me a basic transistor book.

It showed (maybe incorrectly) them as current driven. BE current controls CE.

That clicked for me. The rest all made sense as I read and experimented with some basic heath kit logic boards.

It also helped to ignore electron flow. Follow the arrows!:D
    ronv likes this.
  12. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I would tell myself all the things I discovered and invented so that I will have profited from them instead of my former employers...
  13. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    And, I would say:

"Never, ever, assign a patent!"