Television parts

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mango matto, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mango matto

Thread Starter Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Hey everybody,
    I have just broken the screen of an LCD television. It is a SONY KDL 40 XBR4. Do you guys know if there is a way to purchase parts for it. I have had terrible luck in the past getting repairs shops to complete jobs at a reasonable time or cost. It seems like they make it really hard to work with them, so that you eventually leave the tv there, so that they can obtain ownership of it then sell it off. I may be wrong but that is how it seems. I would really like to try and fix it my self, but really don't know where I can find the parts. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks,
    ΩΩango ΩΩatto

2. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Alas...the TV repair business ain't what it used to be. Spare parts are nigh unto impossible to find. If it's any consolation, after they finally pull the plug on NTSC in a couple of days, there will be all sorts of analog TV equipment available at bargain basement prices.

In the meantime, I think you might just have to look at replacing your TV since LCD screens are about 90% of the cost. :(

eric

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If you have home owners or renters insurance *maybe* you might be covered.

4. mkbutan

Sep 30, 2008
    1. YOU SHOULD HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF TV THEN YOU CAN THINK OF REPAIRING.
    2. YOU SHOULD HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF FAULT FINDING.
    3. TV IS NOT LIKE COLLECTION OF COMPUTER PARTS TO OPEN AND ASSEMBLE THEM ALL.
    TV SET IS A COLLECTION OF MANY INDIVIDUAL SECTION BUT ALL THE SECTIONS ARE INTER CONNECTED WITH EACH OTHER.

STILL ASK WHAT IS THE PROBLEM IN YOUR TV SET .
    eg :- IF SECTION ; AUDIO SECTION ; VIDEO SECTION ; HORIZONTAL SECTION ; RF SECTION OR ANY INPUT SECTION

5. RAH1379

Dec 13, 2005
    i would google the brand and model number first and see what parts distributors come up, then order it from one of them. That works for me.

6. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    mkbutan :
    What are you talking about ???
    And we do not need your upper case text.:(

mango:
    A replacement LCD will be more costly than a new TV. Try to buy a dead TV of the same model, perhaps from a service center, and transplant your good boards to the good LCD assembly.
    Not that hard, but you should have fine skills and care handling fragile parts and connectors.
    Today I transplanted/adapted a backlight inverter board to a different LCD monitor. Works and am happy.
    Miguel

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009