Telescope motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Nathan Hale, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Nathan Hale

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Hello folks! hope all is well.
    Earlier today i was looking at a video where there was a telescope on top of some motor. this motor was controlled by a computer. when the user wanted the telescope to point to a certain star all the user had to do was to punch in the name of the star and the telescope automatically pointed itself at the star.
    now my question to you guys is....
    a) During the prototyping stage of this electric motor is there a guy who sits there and literally calculates how much distance this motor turns for a certain amount of applied voltage? if yes then....
    b) ....is it OK to assume that the circular distance traveled by the motor is a function of the voltage applied to it?
    c) Last question.......how the heck do they measure tiny rotations as a function of voltage during the prototyping of these kinds of devices?

than you for your replies.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No, no, They don't. Google, "stepper motor".

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Probabally very close to the USALS (Universal Satellite Automatic Locating System) used to rotate my satellite dish.
    Max.

4. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If something turns, better think in terms of angle, not distance.

And if you go with steppers as suggested, it is no voltage but how it is applied and for how long.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  5. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    The BIG telescopes I have worked on use servo motors and shaft encoders. I expect that Mead and Celestron telescopes do the same but I can't be sure.

GopherT likes this.