Telephone

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I wanted to build a telephone. I know this one may seems needs some patience but I really want to build one.

My telephone will not be as modern as many telephone were now.

I just want my telephone to make a calls, to receive a calls. That's all. It seems simple for me but I know it will take a lot of time.

I want my telephone to have its own telephone number.

So guys, what do you think? What materials do I need to build this?

If you think I can't do that, would somebody give me a textbook about communications?

Thank you a lot.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Very ambitious project! You should read about Alexander Graham Bell to understand his invention. I also recommend finding an old standard phone - people throw them away these days - and tearing it apart to see how it works.

The phone number is defined by the phone company, which you will have to pay for the right to have your phone line and number. Of course that will all work fine with a store-bought phone, but would make for an expensive project if that's all you are using it for.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You have to put this one on hold (pun intended) ;)

You have yet to solder anything yet.

Specialized chips to make the tones (called DTMF) to dial the numbers are required.

You need to learn switch de-bouncing

Telephones do not decide their numbers. The phone company assigns the line a number, and any telephone you place on that line will use that number.

You have a LONG way to go.

Start with lighting an LED and learning how and WHY diodes work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you can find two used phone you cross connect them.

Advanced feature, such as ringing and dial tone, are much more complicated, like retched said.

Attachments

PerunaPete

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Elenco makes a telephone kit for about $30 (elenco AK-700), you might try building that to get an idea of what's involved, the general principles, etc. then building one of your own.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I agree with with Retched. You have to learn how crawl, before you can take your first sway steps, then learn how to walk properly before you can run. And during this period you must count on some bruise and grazes. Give your self time to learn and build up knowledge. This process will consist of several microsteps. electronics is not something that is learned over night. So be realistic with your projects.