Telephone caller ID on auxillary supply

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jj_alukkas, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jj_alukkas

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Hi,
    I have a telephone caller ID, which runs on 3AA batteries. The AA batteries dont last long, so i was planning to hook it up with a 6v 3.2Ah sealed lead acid battery.. It has 3 terminals inside. 2 AA 's for the Device and the 3rd AA in series with the first two to light up the blue backlight.. The block diagram looks like this
    [​IMG]

The circuitry draws 2.5mA for the first 15 seconds when working, then only 0.5mA which I think is power save mode.. When I tried a 1k resistor, the LCD works good for 15 secs, then display completely lights up making it unable to read what is displayed. if I increase the resistor value, nothing shows up. So I paralleled a 2v7 zenner across the circuitry section, then it works like as if on battery and completely normal. But now the led doesnt go off. It has a good resistance in series and worked well till I connected that zenner. What could be the problem?? Is there any other approach other than this?? that zenner if used gives a good display and bad light, if not used gives bad display and correct led working... Somebody please help..

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Would this idea work?

[​IMG]
    I have assumed the + is at the left, you did not state where the + of the batteries are.

Greetings,
    Bertus

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. jj_alukkas

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Sorry that I didn't indicate polarity. The Rightmost end is negative, obviousely middle becomes 3v+ and left end 4.5v+... By the time after I posted this, i did a little experiment and connected the 6v through a 220r resistor to the negative and 4.5v+ ends.. then placed a useless rechargable single Ni-cd AA battery to make the drop to below 3v and placed a 2v7 zenner across the ckt section and now it works fine... I think If your ckt is modified for the polarity mistake I made, it would also work fine.. Will try it out.. thanks for the idea !!