telephone answering machine ?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Mathematics!, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , does anybody know of any free software I can download to use with my V.92 (fax/data/voice modem) as an answering machine.

I also want the ability of this software to provide a different greeting message based on the Caller ID.

So for instance if 555-5555 calls me I want to beable to say hi bill ....etc
    if 666-6666 calls me I want to say hi jen ....etc

I haven't found any software that I fully trust and that has all the functionalities like the caller screening ...etc

would be nice if anybody could provide me with a link to some software to download.

Thanks for any help.
    I figured I would start a new thread for this. Some of this stuff was stated in the fax thread. Also it would be nice to beable to record a call with the software if I pick up the phone.
    Thanks again

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , on your link I found advanced phone recorder.
    I downloaded it. Works great has every feature I could every want.

However I am worried since it say's shareware will this mean I have to pay for it after like month or so? I am not willing to do this. But nothing in the licience agreement said anything like paying for it. It said it was even free to distribute as long as no modifications are done to the program.

I know some shareware is like freeware so I don't know. Hopeing...

Here is the link it is the 6th down
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/answering_machine.html

Just don't want to get it all configured the way I want it and have to uninstall it because it won't work after a month or so???

4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Yeah, it is going to cost you, it says right where you downloaded it that it is $45.00... until you pay for it, you are limited to 60 sec per recording..... still not bad.... and at least it wont shut off on you after 30 days ;).....

5. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    I am still wondering if somebody knows of a freeware version of this software. Everything I have found is shareware with limits.

Though the 60sec limit isn't to bad. I don't like this constriant.

the features I am looking for is just
    The ability to set a different greeting message based on the caller id (i.e callers number )
    The ability to save the recorded messages in any folder I choose like an external usb harddrive.
    The ability to see what time of day the call was made and what number caller id info ...etc

That is basically it.
    Would also be nice to record them in compressed mp3
    And maybe have some type of different greeting message based on the time of day called. But not necessary.

Thanks

Damn this software had it all. :(

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

After googling around... the $45.00 dollar price tag seems to be the cheapest for what you want..... Maybe this could be an early x-mas present for yourself :D.....

My .02

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I believe there were some freeware applications further along on the list.

8. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    ahhhhhh , I guess I will look on some torrent site for a free version of answering machine software.

Curious though what hardware/software would you need to have extensions?

Like when somebody calls my number they have to dial extension #23 ,...etc for different phones???

I.e what do most company use for this?

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    They pay for a voicemail service.

10. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    So I guess programmers don't deserve to get paid for their work. :rolleyes:

11. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Hey calm down I am a programmer as well. I guess your right in that respect though.

As for the extension part what software/hardware will you need to do that?

12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  13. lmartinez

Mar 8, 2009
  14. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Look at 'Asterisk' and 'FreePBX'

Asterisk is a full PBX system including voicemail facilities etc., though on it's own the configuration is rather complex.

FreePBX adds a web-based configuration front end to Asterisk, making it very easy to use.

It works with many telephone line/phone interface cards, including certain voice modems, also any standard SIP phone interface like Linksys SPA-3000 series, or SIP phones & online SIP phone accounts.

All completely free, except any extra hardware of course.

You can use it for anything from an answering system through a minimal home PBX to a major business or call center setup.

Get 'em here:-
    http://www.asterisk.org/
    http://www.freepbx.org/

15. sbombs

Feb 26, 2010
  16. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Blue broom,Do people write new software every day,how do they register it or
    proof ownership.What Is the process,name a subject you would like to
    see available.

17. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I sure am glad that I have software that does all my math for me. No reason for me to keep a mathematician on staff anymore; I get it for free now.