Tektronix 547

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tindel, Apr 10, 2013.

1. tindel

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I've had a Tek 547 on my 'wish' list for some time now. Finally, one made it onto craigslist in my town - and I was lined up to buy it. It was cherry - it worked (I don't know how well), had a CA and 1A1 plug-in, and a cart - all for $100. I was suppose to meet the guy to buy it tonight after work.

He had it stolen out of his truck today.

I cringe to think that that scope is going to end up in a scrap yard somewhere.

Damn meth-heads.

Moment of silence...

2. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    Damn!:(

That would have been a great deal.

The cart alone, probably cost several hundred?

3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Other than the amazing deal, how did you know it was stolen?

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    At that price it would have been a steal!

5. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    I guess I should clarify - the guy I was buying it from was the rightful owner... He was going to meet me after work so I could check it out, and he had it stolen from his vehicle.

Seems like scope carts go for $40-$50 in my area.

6. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I have an old TEK 5... something dual trace with plug-in modules. It doesn't power on, but when it did, it worked great. You can have it if you want. It's back home in Alabama. I don't know exactly when I'll be back there.

PS: It's HUGE. No idea what shipping will cost.

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Is shipping paid by volume or weight? Just curious.

In the project cargo business it is according to what gives a higher value...

8. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012

I'm not really sure. It's going to be expensive either way, which is probably why no one is taking my offer.

9. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    Brownout - find out the model number, weight, and dimensions of a box that you can ship it in, and I may take you up on your offer. Shipping is cheap - the cost will be in finding a 50 year old germanium transistor, germanium diode, tunnel diode, or nuvistor! I will figure out the cheapest way to ship it and send you a check or paypal - whichever you wish.

I am really interested in 547 and 556. Those two are on my 'wanted' list.

Thanks for your offer!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Recent experience tells me that the weight price goes right out the window if the volume is larger than some arbitrary, "normal". Break the cart down if you can or you will be paying for shipping air.

11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Sometimes I am asked to measure volumes of cargo prior loading or after being discharged from ships.

The actual way is to consider the extreme dimensions including whatever protruding appendage.

As a surveyor for a company involved in big projects I am used to find surprising (not for me) differences. Usually, the dimensions given in the initial packing list are those of the pieces without of the ancillary parts, that are assembled at a later moment but prior shipment.

Surprises happen also when you learn actual weight of things. In the project cargo business is good to keep an eye on that.

12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012

Hi tindel,

I'll have to do that when I go home in a few weeks. If you can wait, I'll get all that to you.