Technics amp broken

jon507

Joined Sep 29, 2014
Hi, yesterday, whilst messing around wiring up some new speakers, I shorted the cables against each other. Not a problem normally except that I had left the amp switched on and the wires plugged in at the back of the amp....woops. Now the amp will not get past the safety operation, (won't work other than turn on). Don't really want to replace the amp if I can help it, does anyone know what is likely to have gone and is it fixable at a reasonable cost....by me maybe?
The amp is a Technics SU-V2X.

Thanks
Jon

jon507

Joined Sep 29, 2014
Yep, had a brief look under the cover, could only find 2 fuses both of which are fine. Didn't want to start taking anything apart inside without some prior knowledge, so there may be some more hidden under the circuits.
Thanks for the input.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Just a wild speculation, but perhaps you need to reboot the receiver? My Yamaha has a process by which you can update or reset the firmware. If you have customized settings (radio presets, for instance) you will probably wipe them out. Have you tried unplugging it for a while?

jon507

Joined Sep 29, 2014
It has been unplugged for a good few hours and again when I inspected the internal fuses, no change. It just stays in safety mode.
Thanks for the suggestion

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
(I attempted to post this hours ago but it never got posted.)

Luckily, I think you have come to the right place. There are many members here with extensive experience in repairing home hi-fi systems and would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Firstly, we would need to know the level of your electronics knowledge. Also are you comfortable doing a DIY repair?

Secondly, do you have access to the Service Manual?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No. You get 2 free downloads per day with no registration.
The pdf is over 8 meg, so I can't upload to AAC.

Wait a few minutes, then look under the picture. It takes that site some time to get ready for a download.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
#12, Can you explain why DC on pin 3 would force it into safety for those of us in the learning stage? Thank you in advance for your time. I appreciate it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Look at the power output in the upper right of the schematic (page 16). Four transistors down is a label that says, "DC detect" Q604, Q605. This is a circuit that detects any appreciable DC level on the output because DC is wrong for a speaker. This goes in IC601 at pin 8, and since IC601 (pin 16) tells IC502 (pin 5) whether it is allowed to run, that would be the "safety" loop.

IC601 also controls the speaker lock-out relay. (RLY601) and the "safety" LED.

...unless I've guessed wrong...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jon507

Joined Sep 29, 2014
Hi and thanks guys. I have downloaded the manual (thanks bwilliams60) and I am about to start looking through it. I may be a while doing things as I want to make sure I get it all right. I am not an electrical wizard MrChips but I am usually able to come to terms with most things. Thanks, I will report back shortly what i find, #12

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Right now I'm looking at the idea that you broke the power amplifier chip and it's gone all DC output so the safety circuit shut off the speakers. Go measure it.

jon507

Joined Sep 29, 2014
Hi guys, I'm back, sorry for the delay but I'm lookin' after my 3 young kids, as well as working at the minute, as my partner is away nursing her very sick brother. I need my amp for my sanity!!!! #12 I've tested pin 3 of IC502 and there is a DC level. I'm guessing that's the power amp blown then?
Thanks
Jon

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How much DC level???
Pin 8 of IC601 wants to see some voltage from the +B5 or +85 volt line. (I can't read it) See if that voltage is being dumped by Q604 or Q605 because the DC on the output line is high enough to turn one of them on.

If dump = true, then IC502 = bad.