TDA1517 Mode Pin Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tracecom, Jun 6, 2012.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Does anyone here know how the mode pin (pin 8) on the TDA1517 amplifier really works? I have read the datasheet and it isn't much help. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has actually made it work. Thanks.

2. mlog

Feb 11, 2012
    I have no experience with this component, but my understanding is that when you supply sufficient current to the mode pin, it will mute the inputs. Also, when the power supply is below a certain level, the inputs are disabled. It's supposed to prevent power up "thumps" when the voltage is first applied. There's a figure (probably Fig. 5) in the data sheet that shows the thresholds.

3. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Here's what I think is supposed to happen, but I would like anyone who knows for sure to correct or substantiate my understanding.

To avoid a "plop" on power-up, pin 8 should be below 8.5 volts, and then Vcc applied to pin 7. Conversely, to avoid a "plop" on power-down, pin 8 should be above 8.5 volts during operation, and be brought below 8.5 volts before pin 7 is disconnected from Vcc. Is that correct and does anyone have a proven circuit to achieve this?

Thanks.