TCP Vs. UDP, how can I turbo charge data transfer?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by strantor, Mar 2, 2015.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I am making a 3D machine simulator in Blender (animation/game design suite w/ Python 3 interface) and it needs to communicate with an Omron PLC over Ethernet. I have found Python 2 code online which communicates with Omron PLCs using Omron's own "FINS" protocol. The code is provided in two files; one for TCP and one for UDP. Not knowing the difference between TCP and UDP, I picked TCP because it rings familiar to me. I spent a lot of time converting it over to Python 3, only to find that it is not quite fast enough.

My simulation/"video game" runs @ 24FPS, and I need it to read/write to the PLC each frame, so total communication time needs to be <40mS. Using the TCP Python code, I can read data from the PLC in 60-90mS, and it doesn't matter whether I read 2B or 30kB, same comms time. So after a bit of reading about TCP Vs. UDP I thought using the UDP code would make for faster comms, but that's not so. The UDP code gives me the exact same comms time (EDIT : wrong, actually UDP takes over 1.2sec to read).

What can I do to speed things up? I don't care about data integrity, error checking, or network congestion. I'm cool with blindly sending/receiving and assuming it worked. It just needs to be as fast as conceivably possible on 10/100 ethernet. The network will consist of a PC, PLC, and touchscreen.

EDIT: attached python files if anybody is interested. The two original python 2 files and my converted Python 3 file. rename to .py
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Might not be an option but using something other than Python might speed things up.
  3. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    UDP or User Datagram Protocol has no method for ensuring the reliable delivery of data. If that is what you want, to spray and pray, then UDP is for you. I agree that ditching Python should speed things up. It is interpreted after all.
  4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Seems odd that UDP would be slower. As mentioned, UDP streams data without mechanisms for data integrity. It should be faster.