tank circuit using radioshack electronic sensorslab 28-278

overmyhead

Joined Nov 6, 2009
Yes the 2nd one is what i have to work with I have nothing close to working to show the closest Ive got is the tank circuit on this site

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I looked for a manual for it online, couldn't find one. As a suggestion draw something up, and we'll try to help you tweak it. Go with a Colpit's or Armstrong Oscillator (both are on Wikipedia).

The picture gives very little to work with as to component count.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The site's animation is misleading. Some of the energy in the system gets converted to heat in the resistor, and so the oscillations damp out and cease fairly rapidly. There is no steady-state operation. Your setup might produce a flash or two, depending on how they are in circuit.

overmyhead

Joined Nov 6, 2009
I know I will lose energy from the two resistors & LEDs & some from the cap & ind I need the right #s to get to run the longest & what order to put the compontants

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think I would build a colpitts or an armstrong oscillator, stick two LEDs in series with the capacitors and call it done. Put two electrolitics back to back in series, which their positive leads connected and you have a large non polarized capacitor. This might help you get the frequency down to visible ranges.