Tank Circuit Equation

The Lightning Stalker

Joined Jul 24, 2008
Hello. I'm trying to isolate L to find out the needed inductance based on resonance frequency and capacitance. I can't remember how to get rid of the square root when it's on the bottom of a fraction.

Any help please?
Robert

The Lightning Stalker

Joined Jul 24, 2008
Okay, but what parts do I square, I'm not sure. Also I have no idea how to get rid of the 1 on top of the fraction. It's been a long time since I had to do an equation like this.

Thank you,
Robert

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Okay, but what parts do I square, I'm not sure. Also I have no idea how to get rid of the 1 on top of the fraction. It's been a long time since I had to do an equation like this.

Thank you,
Robert
I'm assuming you are trying to solve an equation. As Bill said, you can square both sides of the equation, which will get rid of the radical in the denominator. We can't give you any more advice, since we don't know what the equation you're working with is. If you post it, we can give you some more help.

PinkDalek

Joined Dec 18, 2005
I'm trying to isolate L to find out the needed inductance based on resonance frequency and capacitance.
Hi Robert, I've hand drawn the formulas for you, I believe this is probably what you want, but please take care when you use them as it's very easy to make a mistake, I would suggest you do a practice calculation using values for L & C and find the frequency and then apply the frequency value to the other formulas with either known value of L or C and when you get the values correct you will know you've used the correct method of working out.

All the best,
Lorraine

Attachments

Last edited:

PinkDalek

Joined Dec 18, 2005
With regard to my previous post it has occured to me that non members or guests cannot view attached images, so here's a simple text version of the formulas for our guests.

F=1/(2*PI*sqrt(L*C))

L=1/(4*PI*PI*F*F*C)

C=1/(4*PI*PI*F*F*L)

Where F=frequency in Hertz, L=inductance in Henries, C=capacitance in Farads and PI=\(\pi\) which is 3.1415927 correct to 7 decimal places.

I hope that helps.

best wishes,
Lorraine

Last edited: