Tales from the grill...

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Well, I did the pork shoulder.
Can't say it was spectacular, but I think I learned some "stuff".
1- It takes forever. I only got it to 195F before it was getting late. This I think was the biggest mistake. Maybe 200 might be better.
2- Or maybe it was injecting it with apple cider and chicken broth. :D
3- a little tasteless - I like mine plain with Jalapeno peppers. I was light on the salt. Might add some to the injection next time.
4- Not much smoke flavor. I used apple because I couldn't find cherry and I napped through a few hours of cooking.

The wife liked it, but maybe because she was starving. :rolleyes:
I only did half so I have another chance. Maybe you all have some tips.
upload_2015-9-18_9-2-5.png

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Took me a while to figure out what a smoke ring is.
For me a barbecue is steak or hamburgers.:(
Making the perfect smoke ring with a rib-eye roast a few winters ago. I trimmed the Cherry tree in the back so I have some fresh wood to mix with the Hickory and Maple for this winters barbecues.
PC240124.JPG

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
@cmartinez You need to re-evaluate your beer choices.
Emoji Smiley-15.png oooohhhhh... now you've pushed my buttons, dude... Emoji Smiley-82.png

Trust me, there's nothing wrong with mexican Bohemia beer, in fact I consider it among the finest commercial beers there are out there. (commercial being the keyword in that last sentence)
As for Blue Moon's Horchata... I'll grant you it's not the classiest thing I could've had that day, but I was thirsty and it was quite refreshing... in fact, that beer is as good as a coca-cola or any other crappy soda-pop-softdrink in the market... so I'm not going to waste my reputation trying to defend it... but what the heck... it did ease that day's heatwave for me, at least...

BUT... I do know about good beers. American, European and Asian (haven't ventured into Africa, and I only know Australia's Foster's to tell you the truth)... I have to admit I haven't tried Tröegs beer... and after seeing that it has 7.5% alcohol by volume, I think you should know that I personally don't consider it a true beer. For me, a beer should not have a content of more than 6% ABV, otherwise it would taste too alcoholic and should rather be classified into the realm of liquors. In fact, I think that a beer that has more than 5% ABV is not pleasant to the palate. But that's just me speaking, of course.... Now I'm definitely going to look for Tröegs and have a sip... see if I can prove you wrong. Emoji Smiley-51.png

And for the record, you want real mexican craft beer? Try this... hope you can find it where you live.

P.S: The only reason I consider you worthy of my reply is because you mentioned in a previous post that you're also fond of Gin & Tonic Emoji Objects-178.png Emoji Smiley-12.png (I hope you're a fan of Tanqueray, btw)... and yeah... I know that's a cocktail martini glass, but what the heck... I couldn't find a good G&T icon... and it's just too darn late, I'm too tired and I gotta hit the sac... Emoji Smiley-42.png

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
....... Maybe you all have some tips.......
Ron, I cheat. I have a fire basket in my vertical smoker, so I start with a layer of either Kingsford Competition brickets or extruded coconut charcoal. Once that gets started I add a layer of Mesquite lump charcoal, Cowboy brand at Safeway is good here in Tucson. When the lump gets going I put the basket in the smoker and the the food in right after that. Make sure what you are cooking has reached room temp before you put it in the smoker. I then add more briskets and mesquite lump about every 45 min to an hour. If I am doing Salmon I will keep the temp near 230 F. Beef will be 250 or slightly higher. If I used the mesquite lump alone I would have to stoke the fire more often and I would see bigger variations in the temperature. The brickets keep the temperature more consistent. I control the temp mainly through how much fuel I put in the smoker. I do fine tweaks with the input air shutter. I sometime will add apple or pecan chunks that have been soaked in water.

In other words, I use the brickets because they burn long and consistent. I use mesquite lump because it is cheap, plentiful and adds a great taste, and apple or pecan just to add that extra...something.

By the way, what kind of smoker do you have??

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ron, I cheat. I have a fire basket in my vertical smoker, so I start with a layer of either Kingsford Competition brickets or extruded coconut charcoal. Once that gets started I add a layer of Mesquite lump charcoal, Cowboy brand at Safeway is good here in Tucson. When the lump gets going I put the basket in the smoker and the the food in right after that. Make sure what you are cooking has reached room temp before you put it in the smoker. I then add more briskets and mesquite lump about every 45 min to an hour. If I am doing Salmon I will keep the temp near 230 F. Beef will be 250 or slightly higher. If I used the mesquite lump alone I would have to stoke the fire more often and I would see bigger variations in the temperature. The brickets keep the temperature more consistent. I control the temp mainly through how much fuel I put in the smoker. I do fine tweaks with the input air shutter. I sometime will add apple or pecan chunks that have been soaked in water.

In other words, I use the brickets because they burn long and consistent. I use mesquite lump because it is cheap, plentiful and adds a great taste, and apple or pecan just to add that extra...something.

By the way, what kind of smoker do you have??
I don't have a smoker, so it's just a bar - b and chips in foil.