Tales from the grill...

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I imagine those prickly pear leaves would taste like aloe vera, but I will try one if I happen to see one in Florida.
Let me know if you want me to mail you a couple hundred pounds. :rolleyes:
I have some big spineless ones I might try as well.
This could save California! :rolleyes:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I imagine those prickly pear leaves would taste like aloe vera, but I will try one if I happen to see one in Florida.
Find a "Cinco de Mayo" fiesta somewhere. I'm sure they'll have plenty. Me and the wife attend every year at a local Spanish speaking Catholic Church there is Music, Food, Fiesta.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Find a "Cinco de Mayo" fiesta somewhere. I'm sure they'll have plenty. Me and the wife attend every year at a local Spanish speaking Catholic Church there is Music, Food, Fiesta.

kv
Funny thing about "Cinco de Mayo" fiestas is that they're mostly celebrated in the US... down here is a day like any other...

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
@cmartinez

I just showed your pictures to my wife. She ask if you were married. Do you have to be married to barbeque? Seemed like a strange question. :rolleyes:

PS. I put the mustard on pork chops.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
No, Martinez has to be un-married in order for the wife to dump ronv and marry Martinez. :D
I am very much married.... thank you very much... but @ronv, please tell your wife that I'm a classic macho that thinks the wife should be at the kitchen... and the husband at the grill... :D ha ha ha...
Seriously now... been married with a more than gorgeous wife (who is a Computer Science Engineer) for a blissful 23 years now, have an 18 year old boy who has just happened to win a scholarship in our most prestigious university to study Nanotechnology Engineering and Chemical Science, and a beautiful almost-16-year-old daughter with cerebral palsy that requires constant attention and nurturing, and who has become an angel that brings joy to all of my rather large family too (I'm the third of six siblings, btw).
Life isn't fair... and it's great when it isn't fair in your favor ;):)

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
For those of you that are into fishing, here's a God-given recipe you may like to try:

Dzan-Chac (in Mayan: Fish-scrap soup)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Fish head & bones (red snapper is excellent, but any other sea-fish will do)
  • 8 oz, Tomato puree
  • 3 small tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
  • 1 Onion, sliced
  • Juice from 3 sour oranges (do NOT use normal florida oranges, use 12 limes as substitute)
  • 1 Xcatick pepper, sliced (I know, it's most probably impossible to find where you are, but you can use ANY type of a VERY MILD pepper instead, DO NOT use jalapeno or serrano, CAN use a small poblano pepper if available)
  • 2 beers (could use Budweiser beer, if unable to find Sol)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

FS 01.jpg

Preparation:

• Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan

FS 02.jpg

• Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

FS 03.jpg

• Scoop all of the obtained juice (just the juices, discard the solids, do not serve or eat any of the fish or veggies) and serve into mugs. Or better yet, serve into double-sized tequila shot glasses.
  • Slowly sip it while it's warm, while watching the beach from your hotel's room balcony.

Trust me, the result is liquid gold. And like some mexican food, it's not that nice-looking, but it's surprisingly delicious!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
(just the juices, discard the solids, do not serve or eat any of the fish or veggies) !
Sorry, if I am at a hotel near a beach, I am not doing any cooking. If you could get me to cook, I would expect to EAT the result. If I wanted something to drink, I am heading to the bar.

Also, America is the land of plenty;). I am not going to steal some scraps from the local ally cat.

Sorry - I wouldn't mind tasting but I am not going to go out of my way to buy and cook a fishhead so I can drink the broth and throw away the vegetables that I bothered to clean and slice.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sorry, if I am at a hotel near a beach, I am not doing any cooking. If you could get me to cook, I would expect to EAT the result. If I wanted something to drink, I am heading to the bar.

Also, America is the land of plenty;). I am not going to steal some scraps from the local ally cat.

Sorry - I wouldn't mind tasting but I am not going to go out of my way to buy and cook a fishhead so I can drink the broth and throw away the vegetables that I bothered to clean and slice.
Those aren't just any fishheads... those are fisheads from red snappers from the Gulf of Mexico. And they are among the most expensive fish in the market right now. As for stealing them from the alley cat... well, there are cats and then there are angora cats Emoji Smiley-51.png ...

I didn't buy the fisheads, I filleted the fish we caught and ate them using an entirely different recipe... and then I froze the scraps... Days later we defrosted them and made what you see in the pics.

That's a recipe I made while on a fishing trip with 10 other buddies that was a complete success... far tastier than it looks.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Thanks for the Recipe @cmartinez; I enjoy good seafood. This one I'm definitely going to try. I have a good friend from the Gulf; he's a retired roofer and his wife owns a Wrecking Yard. They've invited me and my busy wife to dinner.

I'll see if I can get him to deliver some recipes to share hear; maybe he has one your not familiar with. :)

kv

Edit: Oh, and I'll ask where he's from when we get a chance to dine with them.

Edit:Edit. Funny thing is he looks a lot like Osama Bin laden.:eek:

6'4" thin featured; in Mexico he trained as a commercial Artist but, made more money starting his own roofing business.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Grilled Tri-Tip beef with Salsa Tatemada

This is a very fine cut, and very traditional in northern Mexico. In Mexico, we sometimes wrongly refer to it as Picaña, (@atferrari might like to comment on this, since both cuts are also known in Argentina) which is a cut of Brazilian origins and one of their most representative dishes. It's similar in taste and texture... but it's not the same cut.
There are many ways to prepare it, it can be roasted, baked, braised and, of course, grilled.

What I'm presenting here was done at a friend's house last Thursday night. In our case, we seasoned it with two different kinds of salt, and a few spices. That's all.

Image00012.jpg

We start by putting a few tomatoes and serrano peppers directly on top of the live fire on the grill. They must be partially charred on the outside to be considered done.

Image00005.jpg

After that, we process them in a blender, adding a generous amount of chicken stock to pump up the flavor... that's all there's to it!

Image00007.jpg

Signage at the grilling area must always be taken seriously and obeyed to the letter... failing to do so will result in a diminished grilling experience.

Capture.JPG

It is important to know that this kind of cut should always be done medium-rare. For those of you whose palates prefer 3/4 to fully done, I suggest you place the slices of medium-rare meat in a skillet with some beef broth, and there give it whatever donnes your heart desires. This way it will always be juicy and tender, independently of its term.

Image00020.jpg

It's a very simple cut to make, but the trick lies in monitoring both its temperature and its size... the meat always shrinks when being grilled. A experienced grill master estimates the donnes of a large cut by carefully monitoring reduction proportion, and digging his finger in the meat every once in a while, feeling not only its temperature but how much its fiber is breaking and giving way.

001.jpg

The meat must be allowed to rest for at least 5 to 10 minutes before cutting, otherwise too much of the juices will flow out of the meat when it's being cut. And remember, it's always best to cut the meat in thin slices, and crosswise in relation to its grain, this maximizes tendernes and flavor.

Image00035.jpg

Do not forget to accompany it with a glass of Cabernet!

Finally, a good friend (who ironically, is a vegan-vegetarian) brought a professional camera to document our little adventure, and these were the results.

004.jpg

005.jpg