"Tag" a post?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've seen in my Alerts that this person or that person has "tagged" one of my posts (as distinct from "liked" one of my posts).

1) What is the distinction between "tagging" and "liking"?

2) How do you "tag" a post (I don't see an option to do that)?

3) Is there a way to tell that a post has been tagged (or which post specifically was tagged that caused the Alert to be issued)?

4) Is there a way to find all of the posts that I've tagged?

If "tagging" is a way to mark a post that you want to be able to refer back to in the future, then it does what I used to use "like" for (and can't anymore since I can't get a list of posts that I've "liked"). So this could be very handy for me.

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
WBahn

I just tagged you. It is a way to respond to specific posters without quoting.
Just type the poster's name. You will be prompted for matches. I typed "@WBahn."

John

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I figured out that if I @ somebody's name, they will be notified. You call that a tag? I don't know.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
WBahn

I just tagged you. It is a way to respond to specific posters without quoting.
Just type the poster's name. You will be prompted for matches. I typed "@WBahn."

John
That helps. But it seems like if I click the tag I just get taken to that member's profile summary. How does that replace a quote since, as near as I can tell, there is no indication of which post was tagged.

Still confused, but less so.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I figured out that if I @ somebody's name, they will be notified. You call that a tag? I don't know.
I think I'm getting a better idea. So if I am trying to bring something to a specific person's attention in a post, I can put a tag before that material and not only does it visually indicate who that material is being directed to, but it sends them an alert to bring it to their attention. Hence you can tag a post in a thread that the person being tagged is not even be participating in so that they find out about it and can go look.

I also looked at the Alerts more closely and note that it doesn't say that someone tagged MY post, but merely that I was tagged IN a post.

I can see where this is useful. Thanks a lot!

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
These social media-type features of XenForo are confusing to me but my sister-in-law calls electronics forums "Facebook for nerds" so it's all becoming clearer now.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I always thought #12 was your real name! Didn't you tell the story one time about a big family, not enough names, ...
I don't think I told that story here, but...my father was the 13th in his litter and it seems he got the last few names his Danish parents could think of...and I got them from him. It sounds like I'm 1/3rd Spanish, 1/3rd African, and 1/3rd Swedish.

Now that the world is smaller, I've heard stranger names, like Rhys Ifans and some completely unpronounceable letter combinations from the middle east and the far east. I don't feel so strange about my name now, but I still won't type it into the Internet.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Careful there...that is my real face! (40 years ago :D)

I still have the same hair, but the saggy face is as bad as how child stars look at...well...64 years old. :(
Oh my... I thought it was some brazilian soccer star from the 70's that you were using as your avatar!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I've heard stranger names, like Rhys Ifans and some completely unpronounceable letter combinations from the middle east and the far east. .
That is a Welsh name, its a language where everyone sounds like they are clearing their throat!

I thought maybe you were from the 'Village' and maybe knew #6?;)
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No. I don't know what, "The Village" is and I don't know about #6

I feel a little cautious about this. For years, I thought the rainbow symbol was the latest Christian fad, like bumper stickers about, "The Rapture". I have equally zero clue about what, "The Village" is.