Tachomotor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
A Tachomotor uses a servo amplifier with a speed processor

The speed processor circuit get a differential input and outputs a inphase or out of phase voltage to the servo amplifier

My question is what causes or controls the tachomotor speed?
1.) is it the phase degree?
2.) Is it the amplitude?
3.) Is it the differential voltage?

The larger the differential voltage , the faster the tachomotor speed is?
The small the differential voltage , the slower the tachomoter speed is?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A tachometer does not use a servo amplifier, it is the reverse.
Are you talking DC tach or digital tach?
In the case of a DC tach, the DC out is proportional to the motor rpm.
This tach output is summed with the command signal to arrive a the required set RPM in order to limit the rpm to the commanded set point.
This is called a velocity loop.
Max.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
A tachometer does not use a servo amplifier, it is the reverse.
So what does it use?

what is the amplifier called to drive the tachometer?

Are you talking DC tach or digital tach?
DC tach, it has a motor coil and a generator coil

In the case of a DC tach, the DC out is proportional to the motor rpm.
Proportional to what? an input differential voltage?

This tach output is summed with the command signal to arrive a the required set RPM in order to limit the rpm to the commanded set point.
What circuit is this called that does this?

Is this the processor speed circuit?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The amplifier does NOT drive the tach, the tach is an INPUT to the drive, it is typically summed with the ±10vdc analogue input signal (OP amp summing amplifier).
The tachometer is rarely if ever used on modern servo's now due to the drive loop being a transconductance type amplifier in nature (torque mode).
i.e. Motor current proportional to the analogue voltage input.
The older tach input drive was called a velocity amplifier.
Max.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
the tach is an INPUT to the drive
How can a tach be an input, when it's a motor coil?

So what drives the tacho motor?

The older tach input drive was called a velocity amplifier.
The Velocity amplifier , was a amplifier that drives the tachomotor

The Velocity is a differential voltage and voltage phase that drives the tachomotor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Velocity amplifier , was a amplifier that drives the tachomotor

The Velocity is a differential voltage and voltage phase that drives the tachomotor
You are obviously in possession of some information that I have hitherto never heard of, or come across so it is pointless for me to go on.:rolleyes:
Max.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Did you even take the time to read post #4? What did it tell you? Did you look at the link I spoon fed to you? What does the bold type at the top of it say?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Neat post, Daryl, BUT, please don't confuse Dexter any more than he already is. Your system uses an AC tach and all the magic is handled in the LB1601. Dexter is having a hard enough time just trying to understand what a tach does, let alone the fact that there may be more than one type in use. I'm sure that after seeing your drawing he will be flooding the forum with questions about the HD FLASH signal and WHY would it be there, what is it used for and what does HD mean. BTW, Dexter works in avionics, according to statements he has made in previous posts. Autopilot drawings have been seen many times accompanied by WHY questions.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
so what is the circuits that work with the tachometer called? the circuits that control the tachometers speed and direction?
What exactly do you think a tachometer IS?
As far as I know it is a device that measures rate of rotation, in revolutions per second.

So it is the rotating shaft that controls the speed and direction of the tachometer input.

That is, unless you are talking about something completely different, like the dial found in analog display type tachometers.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You can treat a tachometer like as a low frequency counter, it will more easier to let you get into the conception, for a tachometer speed is used minute, so if you using a counter to count a period of time, assuming that the value of counter is 180 cnt, and the total time is 3 seconds, now you got the cnt = 180, t = 3S (seconds), and then the rpm = 180*(60S/3S) = 3600 rpm.

You can figure out how a uC to work for Tachometer first, talking about what you know after reading this section.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Here is the Schematics for the Tachometer

What I'm confused about is how is the Tachometer a feedback loop or in a loop?

When the AC input signal has a differential voltage or an error voltage, it takes a Time Period for the Tachometer to MATCH the input differential voltage

What is causing this TIME Period delay?

You can use a stop watch and it takes 26 seconds for the Tachometer to catch up to the Input signals differential voltage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.