Tachometer LM2917

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Limoez, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Limoez

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Hello,

I have been looking at all of the threads that deal with the LM2917 tachometer trying to find a solution. I am building an engine monitor for a rotary engine in an aircraft. I am using an arduino and want to feed the voltage from the LM2917 to the arduino. I built up a test setup that spins the CAS sensor to RPMs and measuring the rpm with a photo tach. I have tried various resistors and caps but I am getting a steady increase in voltage to about 3000 rpm then the voltage goes down. I am putting redline at 4500 rpm. Does the input voltage amplitude affect the output? Is the input voltage so high from a VR sensor that it is causing this?

I have another circuit that uses a LM1815 that cleans up the wave form and limits it to 5 volt output. It does not work when connected to the LM2017. I suspect that it is not going negative only to 0. How do I adjust the input to go negative? I am using the LM2917 circuit in the data sheet for the 14 pin chip. The LM2917 circuit uses 12 volts while the LM1815 uses 5volts. I am using a regulated supply. Appreciate any help. Thanks

Joe Berki

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Have you considered using the tach signal direct without the use of LM2917?
    I am not sure of the capabilities of the Arduino, but I have done this fairly easily with a PICmicro.
    Max.

3. Limoez

Jul 30, 2014
    I do not want to use interrupts as there are a lot of inputs

4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    You don't need interrupts, just use the tach pulse signal to operate the timer in the micro.

5. Limoez

Jul 30, 2014
    Could you steer me to examples in arduino to operate timers?

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Sorry I'm not an Arduino user. But there should be a ton of examples on the net if you do a quick google. :)