T1 CSU/DSU any use anymore?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by electronis whiz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I got a couple of old T1 type CSU/DSU from a friend. he got teaching position at local college and thought I may like to mess with since network, if no use, use them for parts. I finally figured out digital links proprietary interface for the Telco port. linked together with t1 crossover basically. I did loopback test appear to work. I have been holding onto to test, and thought may be handy some day. now that I tested and know a lot more about T1 lines. it seems to me they are almost useless. looked on ebay found similar device to mine even like $10 buy now has no offers or anything. that tells me that T1 is about dead, or am I wrong? because when taking networking class back like 2010 they really discussed T1/T3 as being the enterprise type wan link.
    I guess what I'd like to know is if T1 is even still available, is it still better than something like frontier or charter, metro Ethernet. also what is average cost of T1 I've heard wildly varying prices from $500-2000, and if price was reasonable would these possibly do many any use as residential user? I kind of doubt if t1 even still available either be very costly, or they won't run to a residence.
    If they're no use then probably part out suspect have decent amount of parts in them. only other use I could see is getting routers for them and using to run network to some remote area.
    thanks for any info.

2. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    Yes, T1s and T3s are still available, but you won't find them using copper cable.
    When a friend on mine was having problems with AT&T Universe connection, I was able to talk to the repair person and found out that AT&T runs fiber up to their box outside the home. From there, it is scaled down to what the customer pays for. He told me that one fiber can carry the same amount of traffic as on a T1 copper cable. In essence, AT&T provides the equivalent of a T1 (or better) connection to the doorstep of every customer with AT&T Universe.

3. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    ok. I thought may totally be gone, but fiber conversion don't surprise me. so these things are most likely about useless. Have some things i'd like to try with them then may just part out. There not even selling on eBay that should be a good clue. best use I can think of is use to extend lan to some remote place with proper t1 type cable. shielded 2 pair cable.
    thanks for info.