T Suffix on Semiconductors Same as NON-T counterparts?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by crosswired, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crosswired

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Hey guys,

this is my introduction here on the forums as well as my first question.

I am a budding programmer who likes to do electronics in my spare time, and I want to make a back-off module for my car's tail lights. Similar to the ambulance's/school-bus' wig-wags that strobe their tail-lights when they press their brakes.

Circuit here:http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/motflash.html

I also like to pickup my components locally but the local electronics store doesnt have the main semiconductor i need, NTE 4093b [CMOS], instead they have a 4093BT which it calls itself a triggered 4093B but when I look up datasheet's for the 4093B it also sometimes refers to itself as a schimitt triggered semiconductor.

Is the 4039BT = 4039B ?

Also, for those of us who do not have the luxury of a local electronics store, or for those obscure parts where you have to resort to an online retailer are there any well liked virtual stores in the community? My local store only had 2 4093B semiconductors and I plan on buying extras in case i fry the first board, and i always tend to do a better job on the second board most of the time anyways.

Just looking for a little information here on the "T" (trigger) suffix on some semiconductors product labeling.

2. JWHassler

Sep 25, 2013
    The 'T' suffix (in two instances I found) indicates that the part is surface-mount. The 4093 is always a Schmitt trigger type part.

3. crosswired

Feb 10, 2015
    Arent surface mounted components typically soldered with machines? should i be looking for the 4093B's "Through-hole" predecessor or can I hand solder the SMT 4039B ?

4. JWHassler

Sep 25, 2013
    Depends: the 4093BT has a pin-spacing of .050"- half of the DIP version. If you can find prototyping board with .050" spacing, it's pretty easy

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Recommended online electronics retailers (In the US since you didn't state your location)..
    digikey/mouser/newark/jameco/onlinecomponents

and adapters like this will really help if you buy the SMT version
    http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2200003

But SMT work can be difficult by hand.. but easily doable for the skilled

6. crosswired

Feb 10, 2015
    Oh wow, i didnt realize they made a SOIC to DIP adapter. See, im familiar with the definitions of these components i just do not know what they look like in the wild. compounded by the fact that the parts arent labeled as what they are (to the beginner) this "easy fun project" can get kind of big, and hairy.

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Get the 4093BP or MC14093BCP.

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Digikey is very friendly to small orders. For things under 8 oz you can get USPS shipping for $3.22.

ALWAYS check the data sheet for anything you wish to buy. All the ins and outs of the part number (should) will be explained. Don't order something you don't know about. As always, ask here and we can double check things with you (but it's your money so...).

Those adapters look nice if you want to go the SMD route (something I actually prefer to do) but don't order them there unless you are in extreme hurry. EBay sells similar items for 1/3rd the price, but since they come from China they take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I stock mine.

Let's see... if you get into embedded computers don't try to build the first one. BUY it to make sure it works!

Automotive modifications are not allowed here so if you build that sign don't put it n your car. <g>

And welcome to the forums!

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.