system recovery jab

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by astubborndonkey, Apr 20, 2010.

1. astubborndonkey

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    hey guys i have a gateway laptop it tell me the model is mx 3228 if that means anything. i want to restore it to the day i got it and i dont want to save any files. the problem is i dont have a disk and ive asked my friends but they dont either

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You'll need to get a new OEM disk, or install a different operating system on it.

An OEM disk costs around $100, I think.

You cannot legally "borrow" a disk from a friend and install it. That is software piracy, and there are very hefty fines for doing such things.

3. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    well thats <snip> i dont even think this laptop cost 100 bucks anymore haha. there is no possible way to restore without a disk?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    If you are running XP or higher version of Windows (Vista,7) then you should be able to run the System Restore application and select the very first restore point..... Some gateways and Dells have the Recovery Disks right on another partition of the Hard Drive, which should enable you to re-run the install....

Or if you have the original CD_Key that came with the system, just borrow someone's XP Disc (or whatever OS you have), reinstall windows, and use the existing CD Key that came with the system...... Just make sure you use a disc for the proper OS version (i.e. You can not use a XP Home cd key with an XP Pro disc, etc.)

B. Morse

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Actually You can, as long as you enter the original CD_key that came with the system (I am a Certified Microsoft OEM System Builder, so I know this is Legal, most companies such as Gateway would do a mass install from one disk and just supply each system with its own CD Key, that is why they do not give you a copy of the actual OS disc which they should since you paid for it!!.). You can not re use someone elses CD key, that would be pirating.

B. Morse

6. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    @ bmorse thanks a lot i have a thing that says recovery(D:) in my computer if that means anything. Im trying to do this without a disk

7. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    that stupid smiley face was supposed to be ( D : )

8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    That would be the recover partition, when you first boot up the PC does it give you an option to press a key to start recovery?? For a Dell I believe you press F9, not sure for a gateway.....

Once you run this you will loose everything you have on the laptop, and it should be back to when it was first built... just don't alter the recovery partition, so you can run this again if needed in the future....

B. Morse

9. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    its f11 at startup for me but it tells me to enter a disk so am i pretty much screwed?

10. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Is it asking for a disk to create a startup disk?? If so, you can just skip the startup disk (if you can,) and go right into restore....

B. Morse

11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Are you restricted to Windows?
    Do you want to try a linux version?
    You could take a look at ubuntu or OpenSuse.
    You can even download live versions of them to take a look how its looks like.

Bertus

PS I am using OpenSuse for over 5 years now.

12. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    i dont think so for the disk

13. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    have you approached gateway ... on their website ... for a recovery CD. I know when I approach dell about them for clients, they only charge $15

You are entitled to your recovery CDs, just look at gateway support.

14. astubborndonkey

Apr 13, 2010
    thank you dell is actually a good comp unlike gateway (to hell) haha

15. Bychon

Mar 12, 2010
    I did a dell afew months ago and the instructions for the restore partition were online at Dell/model number/downloads.