Synchronizing cameras by shorting their pixel clock pins?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by murrdpirate, Mar 26, 2012.

1. murrdpirate

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2011

I'm working on an application similar to computer stereo vision, expect that I have 8 cameras and the synchronization required is even more strict. At the moment, I have 8 Microsoft HD-5000 webcams hooked up to my desktop computer using PCI USB controllers. Since they output at 720p, 30fps, I am able to grab a 720p frame from each of them within 1/30th of a second, but currently I cannot synchronize them any further than that.

Is there any way I can improve this? One thing I was considering (and read about), is shorting the pixel clock pin from 1 camera to the other 7 cameras so that they all reference the same pixel clock. Would that work? I think each camera sets its own pixel clock, and thus maybe it would work, but I couldn't rule out this being set by the computer.

This might be a great solution for me, since I don't need to precisely control when the pictures are taken (often accomplished using expensive hardware triggers), but I do need to make sure the pictures are taken at very close to the same time.