Symbols on PCB a pain

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Then making a PCB. Putting on graphic symbols like logos etc, may be a pain. You can not do cut and paste. But most of PCB software support TTF font files. So I came up with an idea to make a (true type font) TTF file for PCB design. So far I have a TTF file containing symbols shown in the PDF. This a beta version but I can share the final result if any feel they can have some use for the symbols

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Guess you must be using a bad PCB program... great idea though..
I use Altium designer, so I guess you will find worse PCB tools on the market. I can insert a bitmap graphic with a tool converting the BMP to a bunch of tracks. But the problem is scaling the inserted graphic after it is inserted. It is no way to do it. But then it come to TTF fonts you have much better options.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
WOW I would have thought that would have been built into Altium Designer for the money you pay for that program.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
WOW I would have thought that would have been built into Altium Designer for the money you pay for that program.
Which tool do you use, and is this problem solved by your tool? just curious ;) But anyway I will not be able to change from Altium I think

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In Eagle, you can put anything you can access with the keyboard, e.g., © ± £ , on the board. You can also import any bmp or dxf using a ULP.

Thanks for the symbols you developed.

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In Eagle, you can put anything you can access with the keyboard, e.g., © ± £ , on the board. You can also import any bmp or dxf using a ULP.

Thanks for the symbols you developed.

John
Here Is the TTF file. Remember it is beta version, so the symbols is not arranged in some structure at all . Feel free to add any suggestion regarding useful symbols to add.

Attachments

jm-a

Joined Oct 20, 2010
Then making a PCB. Putting on graphic symbols like logos etc, may be a pain. You can not do cut and paste. But most of PCB software support TTF font files. So I came up with an idea to make a (true type font) TTF file for PCB design. So far I have a TTF file containing symbols shown in the PDF. This a beta version but I can share the final result if any feel they can have some use for the symbols
Hi,

Use Kicad, opensource so no money to spend.

You can use it under Windaube - you can..... - but would be really better with linux distros or FreeBSD by example.

Link for Kicad:

http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

Enjoy.

jm