Symbols on PCB a pain

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by t06afre, Aug 11, 2010.

1. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Then making a PCB. Putting on graphic symbols like logos etc, may be a pain. You can not do cut and paste. But most of PCB software support TTF font files. So I came up with an idea to make a (true type font) TTF file for PCB design. So far I have a TTF file containing symbols shown in the PDF. This a beta version but I can share the final result if any feel they can have some use for the symbols

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Guess you must be using a bad PCB program... great idea though..

3. t06afre

May 11, 2009
    I use Altium designer, so I guess you will find worse PCB tools on the market. I can insert a bitmap graphic with a tool converting the BMP to a bunch of tracks. But the problem is scaling the inserted graphic after it is inserted. It is no way to do it. But then it come to TTF fonts you have much better options.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    WOW I would have thought that would have been built into Altium Designer for the money you pay for that program.

5. t06afre

May 11, 2009
    Which tool do you use, and is this problem solved by your tool? just curious ;) But anyway I will not be able to change from Altium I think

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    In Eagle, you can put anything you can access with the keyboard, e.g., © ± £ , on the board. You can also import any bmp or dxf using a ULP.

Thanks for the symbols you developed.

John

7. t06afre

May 11, 2009
    Here Is the TTF file. Remember it is beta version, so the symbols is not arranged in some structure at all . Feel free to add any suggestion regarding useful symbols to add.

8. م.أحمد سامي البسيوني

Sep 13, 2014
  9. jm-a

Oct 20, 2010
    Hi,

Use Kicad, opensource so no money to spend.

You can use it under Windaube - you can..... - but would be really better with linux distros or FreeBSD by example.

Link for Kicad:

http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

Enjoy.

jm

10. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    I use Designspark works great,has schematic and PCB editor,Huge database for parts and I can create new components really fast inside the program.

shortbus and GopherT like this.