Switching regulator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by camp0s, Mar 18, 2010.

1. camp0s

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2009
    I'm working on a switching regulator. The spec are up to 32V input (or 24V) a not strict 10-20V in_min and 28V output @10A max (adjustable on the fly).

It is of sepic topology, or plain boost if 24V limited input is decided. I've excluded buck-boost, because I feel 4 mos (2 high side) would add too much complexity and losses (as T° grows up) and there was only one controller (from linear) available (don't remember exacly the code); but I'm not a pro, so I'm still open to other ideas.

Specs and power are not impressive/outstanding, and I've found some regulators from Linear and National that would do the job, they are:

But, my question is, how would I keep complexity down, and came up with a design that actually works? even if not perfect above 95% (..) efficiency, assembled without too much worring about ground planes and black magic.. I mean something "rugged" (if it's the word)? I would say, some you could hear the buzz of the current and feel it's working or not - sort of!

The regulators I found are low pin count, as a parameter of choice I decided so to keep circuit complexity down, I would like some suggestions on some solutions that I can try to prototipate and see it running, not just came up with a "dry" perfect simulation in Ltspice.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    You would need to add a transformer for that amount of amperage, and a big enough transformer at the right frequency will give a nice hum.