Switching off mains from switch box.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
I've always thought about the thought of powering the house by using the inverter in the wall socket of the house to then provide all of the house with electricity.

however, it's highly illegal to do that when the power is off as it could electrocute the guys on the power line.. eek 1st question is..

if i turn off the mains power supply from the fuse box, you physically break the connection to the transformer / main line right?.. would it then be safe to use an inverted plug socket and power the whole house when the power finally does come back (I could leave a light on different fuse box) i could then switch the inverter off pull the inverted plug out of the wall and then switch on the mains power? would this be safe to do? or still illegal?..

and if it is illegal, what kind of means would i have to go to? a manual trip switch to switch between mains and inverter power?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Why do you want to do this? It is very hard to compete with the electrical company then it comes to how much you pay for every Kwh. But the world is full of scammers claiming to have a gadget that has a energy output/input factor larger than one.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
I have a solar panel which trickle charges a deep cycle battery when the black out happens, i'm able to use the battery and inverter to power the modem, router, computer for several hours until the power is restored unless it's really bad.

the grid tie inverter looks like a good option but when the power goes off, the inverter stops supplying power, this is not about getting cheap or free power but to get power if something happens like in a black out.

So i need some kind of switch to cut the mains off and feed directly from the inverter when the power comes back on later the battery the solar panels will recharge the battery again.