Switching mode UPS

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
Had anybody ever heard of an uninterruptable power supply using SMPS technology?

I had a Philips branded one I got about 4 yrs ago, for an XP system, ran fine with my more recent 7 PC too, even though is small. rated like 300W. Today I decided to do a test on it, everything just died immediately. I investigated bad battery, software shoed 98% pre test, I looked at overload, it ran monitor, but not pc, I looked into changes in pc nothing that would cause overload. I took to bench to test, appears battery, and circuit are shot. I opened circuit part, I see a tiny charging transformer, and another about the size of the large transformer used in most PC PSUs. looked like switch mode, but I've never heard of that used on a UPS, and would think power factor correction most things use now would cause issues.

Never buying a Philips UPS again, 4 yrs isn't bad, but based on the design I want nothing to do with it. Has ports for phone/network surge suppression, on inspection all the lines are just linked no MOV's or nothing. So that was pretty much just a fake. Something like that makes me lose a ton of trust in some of these companies products. Now on pay more, and stick with APC or Eaton, maybe tripp-lite. I'm using a cyber power now I had laying around, I kind of expect that will end up like this Philips one.

Moral if getting a UPS don't buy like a $30 one. If ups is needed then like 70$ would be low as I'd go now, preferably 100ish. buy a cheapy you may just end up getting burned when it fails to do it's job, and destroys the stuff attached.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I have friend that teaches electronics, showed him. He said very well could be SMP technology. He looked at it was like could work, I said I don't see how it puts out what it claims. Showed him rating sticker he was like don't believe that this thing be lucky even to get close. This is pretty much a glorified power strip. Showed him how supposed lan surge protector was setup he was like that's got spots for parts, but not there. I said I saw that I thought what a joke, he was like pretty much. Took it apart, leaving intact for now, later I'll grab an APC I have, and make a video for YouTube. Like to get hands on an eaton unit too for comparison, but not sure will be able to. Primary focus will be design, and kind of a review. I learned lesson, now others will have info too.
And if I can keep people from getting a Philips UPS be a bonus. I have issue with companies building something claiming it is a ups for like 200W when it be lucky to even do that, and claim it has network surge suppression when it clearly doesn't.
now on even if costs 3X what this did I'm staying name brand APC, eaton, tripp lite. if going to invest in ups may as well get a good one you know works, and has the actual capabilities claimed. Get a cheap you may end up frying your stuff anyhow because it failed to perform.