Switching Mode Power Supply Explanation Help

mjcole82

Joined Nov 3, 2011
I have a lab to do on analog circuits. This is the circuit I was assigned. I know it is a switching mode power supply, but the teacher has told us nothing about it. Only gave us a link to some indecipherable indian guy on youtube.
Essentially, I just need to know the process of how to set the values of the components. I know how to do all the relevant formulas, just can't figure out where to start. Seems like everytime I try to figure out one value of a component, I need the value of another I don't know and so on in a vicious circle.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Look up hysteretic switching regulator.

The relative value of R1 and R2 determine the output voltage as compared to the reference voltage V2.

The relative value of R3 and R4 determine the value of the hysteresis voltage for the U2 switch around the reference switching point.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I have a lab to do on analog circuits. This is the circuit I was assigned. I know it is a switching mode power supply, but the teacher has told us nothing about it. Only gave us a link to some indecipherable indian guy on youtube.
more evidence to support my claim that computers are making the world lazier and stupider than it already was......:(

mjcole82

Joined Nov 3, 2011
more evidence to support my claim that computers are making the world lazier and stupider than it already was......:(
Thank you for taking the time to reply in a completely useless way. Computers, and the internet, give people access to information that was previously nearly impossible to obtain at such speed. A person would be a fool if they did not see it wise to take advantage of this resource. You, obviously, perceive this as laziness. I see it as using the tools I have at my disposal.
Finally, just because I made this post does not mean I didn't spend hours doing other research in other places. Once again, thank you for being one of those people that clutter forums with completely useless drivel.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to reply in a completely useless way. Computers, and the internet, give people access to information that was previously nearly impossible to obtain at such speed. A person would be a fool if they did not see it wise to take advantage of this resource. You, obviously, perceive this as laziness.
Listen, dude: I perceive LAZINESS as laziness and here is exactly what you said:

but the teacher has told us nothing about it.
That's the problem. I have a total of three engineering degrees and I am constantly stunned by what passes for "teaching" these days. If any instructor had dumped an assignment on me with no collateral information (and a few did) I would simply camp at his office until he told me what he should have told the class in the first place.... which was a learning experience for him since he learned it's better to actually teach the CLASS in unison than have them come to his office in single file to get the information he was too lazy to prepare for the class as he should have.

I know exactly what computers are good for, I use one every day. I also know that many teachers are using them to be lazy and this is a good example of it.

And BTW, I spent about 20 years teaching which is to say I prepered volumes of technical material for training classes so I know what I'm talking about. Doing it right is a lot of work, doing it wrong is a lot less work and you get what you put in... of course, I would have been fired for doing what your instructor did but in private industry you actually have to do the job you are paid for, we didn't have the protection of "tenure" and a powerful teacher's union who defend the jobs of incompetent teachers.

As for:

Thank you for taking the time to reply in a completely useless way.
Why is it useless to point out that when a student has received no information from a teacher..... never mind, I give up.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Does the teacher's union say that a teacher who does not do their job still gets paid?
I am not talking about their enormous pension when they retire.

A teacher on my street retired while still fairly young. The pension pays full salary (from my taxes!). This teacher has a new job with the school board for even more income.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Does the teacher's union say that a teacher who does not do their job still gets paid?
It certainly does, The worst teachers (who have tenure) are fully protected by the unions to the point of insanity. I could tell you tales you might not believe but are true none the less. Unions spend 99% of their resources (including their legal counsel) defending the worthless scum who should be fired. If you have ever wondered why public education is what it is, that reason tops the list (see references at the bottom of this post).

Yep, another problem.

A teacher on my street retired while still fairly young. The pension pays full salary (from my taxes!). This teacher has a new job with the school board for even more income.
The classic double dipper.....;)

http://news.yahoo.com/former-teacher-unions-bad-teachers-152100130.html

During my years as a teacher, I witnessed more harm than good as a result of the stranglehold my union had on the district where I worked. This is why I became a supporter of Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.). Most of my former colleagues cringe at the mention of Walker's name, but I admire him for taking a stand against public sector unions.

First of all, unions protect incompetent teachers. Under the protection of a union, it is nearly impossible for teachers to be fired simply because they aren't very good at doing what they're paid to do. I've also seen ineffective teachers keep their jobs while highly effective teachers with less seniority have been laid off. Under union guidelines, if cuts need to be made, it isn't the lowest performing teachers who lose their positions; instead, it's the ones with the least amount of seniority.

Second, teacher unions support the continued use of single salary schedules. The NEA says that single salary schedules are advantageous because they "mitigate any subjective criteria or biases that might influence compensation, and they have predictable operating costs as well as built in efficiencies due to their easy administration." While these salary scales might be efficient, they force public schools to pay teachers based on seniority and degree-level regardless of merit.
http://protectingbadteachers.com/index.cfm

The Union Protects Bad Teachers
School district records show that in a four-year period (school years 2001-02 through 2004-05) only one or two tenured teachers were fired each year -- a total of five teachers fired in four years.

The Newark school district has about 3,850 tenured instructional staff. Many of them are hard-working, committed educators. But can it be true no that more than .032% of tenured teachers are unfit to teach school? If it were really true that the union only kept good teachers from getting fired, then the district’s .032% firing rate would mean that the overwhelming majority of Newark kids go through the entire school system without ever encountering a bad tenured teacher. Check out school performance stats to see why that’s not likely.

Tenure charges are complaints the school district files to get rid of its worst teachers, whom the union defends. Any time charges are filed, they become public record -- as does the amount of money paid out to get some teachers to leave. Click here to view all 15 tenure charges opened between 2001 and 2005.
http://newsok.com/union-defends-process-of-firing-teachers/article/3522947

The procedures for firing teachers have been portrayed across the nation as a burdensome process that has created an epidemic of ineffective teachers in our nation's classrooms.

In New York City and Los Angeles, media outlets have drawn attention to rooms where teachers can be assigned for years to sit and do nothing but collect a pay check while they await termination proceedings.

In Oklahoma, the criticism has focused on the "Teacher Due Process Act ” a law passed in 1990 that guarantees tenured teachers the right to appeal a school board's termination to the district court for a fresh-new trial.

Last edited:

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to reply in a completely useless way. Computers, and the internet, give people access to information that was previously nearly impossible to obtain at such speed. A person would be a fool if they did not see it wise to take advantage of this resource. You, obviously, perceive this as laziness. I see it as using the tools I have at my disposal.
Finally, just because I made this post does not mean I didn't spend hours doing other research in other places. Once again, thank you for being one of those people that clutter forums with completely useless drivel.
That is too much of very strong words for a casual remark or personal opinion, and that too to someone who is very highly experienced and has been actively offering valuable help here.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I'm not sure I understand the relevance of that question. :confused:
The lazy teacher tells the students to look online then he goes to play golf.
A teacher should TEACH things and is paid to TEACH things.

Maybe the lazy teacher had a teacher who never taught how to teach.

mjcole82

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Listen, dude: I perceive LAZINESS as laziness and here is exactly what you said:

That's the problem. I have a total of three engineering degrees and I am constantly stunned by what passes for "teaching" these days. If any instructor had dumped an assignment on me with no collateral information (and a few did) I would simply camp at his office until he told me what he should have told the class in the first place.... which was a learning experience for him since he learned it's better to actually teach the CLASS in unison than have them come to his office in single file to get the information he was too lazy to prepare for the class as he should have.

I know exactly what computers are good for, I use one every day. I also know that many teachers are using them to be lazy and this is a good example of it.

And BTW, I spent about 20 years teaching which is to say I prepered volumes of technical material for training classes so I know what I'm talking about. Doing it right is a lot of work, doing it wrong is a lot less work and you get what you put in... of course, I would have been fired for doing what your instructor did but in private industry you actually have to do the job you are paid for, we didn't have the protection of "tenure" and a powerful teacher's union who defend the jobs of incompetent teachers.

As for:

Why is it useless to point out that when a student has received no information from a teacher..... never mind, I give up.
My apology, I thought you were calling me lazy for asking for help on this forum. I now see that you were referring to the teacher.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You are not getting any value for that 2000 your spending. If the teacher isn't teaching, they report to someone, like the Chair of the department, and the Chair reports to someone.

It's a shame you are spending that much cash and not getting anything in return.

My wife complained to the Chair about a course's false advertisement ... Statistics using Excel, and the teacher stated on the first day that he didn't know anything about excel. She got her money back.

So you are paying for the privledge of sitting in a class for a semister. I haven't read where learning by osmosis has been perfected.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Essentially, I just need to know the process of how to set the values of the components. I know how to do all the relevant formulas, just can't figure out where to start. Seems like everytime I try to figure out one value of a component, I need the value of another I don't know and so on in a vicious circle.
Thanks for your help.
Do you have ANY of the design parameters, such as input voltage, output voltage, allowable output voltage ripple, output current ability, etc? It's a little on the impossible side to design without that information.

There have actually been two large studies done and a few smaller ones, showing no correlation between higher teacher wages and better student performance. In fact, they tend to prove the inverse up to high school level, and then no change through college education.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There have actually been two large studies done and a few smaller ones, showing no correlation between higher teacher wages and better student performance. In fact, they tend to prove the inverse up to high school level, and then no change through college education.
Have there been any studies about the correlation between unions protecting incompetent teachers and poor quality public education?

The study I did.... during about 12 years of schooling I attended in california certainly supported it.

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There have actually been two large studies done and a few smaller ones, showing no correlation between higher teacher wages and better student performance
apparrently, you do get what you pay for:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/working_papers/2006/RAND_WR378.pdf

Controlling for other district factors (including average education and experience of teachers, district type), higher teacher salaries were associated with higher student performance. /////// It is important to remember that, in a multivariate analysis, we are controlling for other factors. Thus, regardless of district type, we found that higher salaries appeared to be associated with better average student outcomes. This lends some support to the hypothesis that higher pay attracted more effective teachers.