Switching from cable tv to antenna

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Hi all,

As most are probably aware, TV is becoming less worthwhile to have and just really another hand in my pocketbook so I am opting for the OTA antenna route to pick up stations nearby.

Wondering if anyone had any advice on equipment that they recommend or how to get started.

Thanks,
JP

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Just took my old VHF/UHF antenna in the attic, ran some new RG-6 from it to the antenna input on the TV and did a channel search. We are about 30 mi from Cedar Hill (Texas) where most broadcasting is done so just pointed the antenna to there and have lots of channels. The OTA quality is far superior to standard (not HD) FIOS (Verizon fiber). Like you, I am getting tired of paying more and more for wall to wall commercials and lame reality shows.

For movies we use Netflix streaming into a PS3 but newer TVs have streaming capabilities built in. Also have an LG620 BluRay player that streams everything from Netflix to Youtube. Slick.

Winegard and other antenna mfrs have info as to which antenna you might need for your postal code/city. An inlaw is close enough to the xmitter to use the Flatwave indoor antenna. Works like a hose.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I like cable TV and its Personal Video Recorder that records 2 or 3 channels at the same time on its hard drive. It is much clearer than an old video tape recorder.

Cable TV has hundreds of channels and movies.

If I go out and forget to record a show that is on at 2:00 from Halifax or 3:00 from Toronto then I can watch it from Buffalo at 4:00, from Calgary at 5:00 or from Vancouver at 6:00.

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Very true, digital cable definitely does have its advantages. I don't think for what I need it justifies the price though. I think I'll be just as happy with Netflix and whatever an antenna brings my way.

The net is pretty good too...

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi all,

As most are probably aware, TV is becoming less worthwhile to have and just really another hand in my pocketbook so I am opting for the OTA antenna route to pick up stations nearby.

Wondering if anyone had any advice on equipment that they recommend or how to get started.

Thanks,
JP
I also use OTA only.

Find out what stations broadcast in your area. The TV bands now are upper VHF (channels 7 - 13) and UHF (channels 14 - 85). If you have channels in the VHF band, you need a "combination" antenna. If not, you can just get a UHF only antenna.

combination antenna:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...tdoor-HDTV-Antenna-(HBU44)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

UHF only:

http://www.summitsource.com/winegar...ue-zone-part-9032-with-coax-cable-p-7005.html

Last edited:

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I like cable TV and its Personal Video Recorder that records 2 or 3 channels at the same time on its hard drive. It is much clearer than an old video tape recorder.
You can get a Magnavox hard drive video recorder at Walmart for about $200 (I have two of them). Work perfectly and have the tuners built in. You can record and playback at the same time. I'm not dropping >$1500 year for the garbage they have on cable around here.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I also use OTA only.
+1
Me too. Netflix for blu-ray movies. I never cease to be amazed how much money people drop on cable without hardly thinking about it. $3/day and more? That's just nuts, IMHO.

I use only in-house, amplified rabbit ears. With those I can pull in my local stations perfectly, and stations up to 50 miles away pretty well, but not reliably. Sometimes great, sometimes nothing. I've been thinking about putting up an antenna but just haven't been motivated yet.

Take a look at the Solid Signal website. Good supplier, and lots of info. Ah, I see bountyhunter has recommended them as well.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I called my cable TV company and said, "Goodbye, I am going to replace you with less expensive satellite TV". Then they gave me 20% off for 2 years.

They told me to buy a PVR at an AV store for a much better price than they have.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I called my cable TV company and said, "Goodbye, I am going to replace you with less expensive satellite TV". Then they gave me 20% off for 2 years.

They told me to buy a PVR at an AV store for a much better price than they have.
I checked into TIVO, and their price is $240/year just to use their service (which provides no content, just lets you use their recorder).

I told them that price was RIDICULOUS and they said that they also offered a LIFETIME TIVO service for $500.

I actually considered buying that until they explained that LIFETIME meant the lifetime of whatever box you bought from them and when it failed you had to buy another box and service package......

and the junk boxes they sell probably have a "lifetime" of maybe three or four years.:D

IDIOTS......